Home Beginner's Guide to Serging Beginner’s Guide to Serging (Ep 12): How to use a Gathering/Shirring Foot

Beginner’s Guide to Serging (Ep 12): How to use a Gathering/Shirring Foot

written by Sarah August 19, 2016

Welcome back to our Beginner’s Guide to Serging! In this episode, we will teach you how to use a Gathering/Shirring Foot on your serger.

Gathering on your serger is as simple as switching your differential feed to 2.0 and increasing your stitch length. However, with the gathering foot, you’re able to gather fabric and attach it to a straight edge while finishing your raw ends – all in one easy stitch. It’s the fastest way to create ruffled edges for cute girl skirts, frilly tablecloths, elegant tapestries, or anything else your mind can think up.

Happy serging!

Lucinda Young May 4, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Is there a heathering foot simplicity SW 432

Sarah May 8, 2017 at 11:14 am

Hi, Lucinda! There isn’t a gathering foot that I can *guarantee* fits your SW 432 machine, but this foot *should* work: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/shirring-foot-singer-a1a233000.aspx

Nelsy arevalo September 26, 2016 at 9:38 am

Quiero consegir todos los pies de la fileteadora elna 683

Ellen September 26, 2016 at 4:44 pm

El único pie que tenemos para la Elna 683 es ​​el estándar: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/presser-foot-singer-g1288.aspx

Denise Ribas Marques September 16, 2016 at 9:15 am

Hello , I “d like to Know were to buy these feet fo my ultralock Singer 14SH754.
I live in Brazil and my daughter will be in NewYork the Sep/24 . Must be a retailer who sends to NY
Thanks , Denise

Malaina September 16, 2016 at 10:34 am

Hello Denise,
Here is a link to a gathering/shirring foot that is guaranteed to fit your Singer 14SH754, http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/shirring-foot-singer-550620.aspx
We do ship to New York and we also ship to Brazil so, your daughter could purchase it and have it sent to New York or you could purchase it and have it shipped directly to you.

Micheline A Briere September 1, 2016 at 11:00 am

I would like to see more of this as I am new to this type of work. It looks like a great way to get the best looking finish I have been working on.

Barbara Hudson August 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Finally I found You. Great narration. Great visual demonstrations. Thanks .