Home Presser Feet Tutorials Understanding Singer Shanks and Snap On Presser Feet

Understanding Singer Shanks and Snap On Presser Feet

Hey, everyone! I’m Sarah with sewingpartsonline.com and today we’re going to clear up some of the confusion surrounding snap on presser feet, specifically Singer’s snap on presser feet.

When you think of a snap on presser foot, you usually picture this. It’s a pretty generic snap on presser foot. As you know, it attaches to a snap on presser foot adapter. I’m holding a low shank one. They go together like this.  It’s pretty simple and you see these a lot.

However, Singer decided to do their own thing and make a proprietary low shank adapter and a proprietary slant shank adapter. These adapters fit their own proprietary snap on feet. These are sized a little bit differently than the ones you’re used to seeing. Let me show you what I mean.

For the sake of this video, we’re going to call the Singer proprietary adapters and proprietary feet “skinny adapters” and “skinny feet” because their attachment bar is just a little bit skinnier than the regular snap ons.

Let’s compare the two types. This is our skinny snap on adapter . This is our regular snap on adapter . This is a skinny snap on foot. This is the regular snap on foot. See the difference?

As you can see, the regular snap on feet won’t work with the skinny snap on adapters. And the skinny snap on presser feet won’t work with the regular snap on adapters. Bottom line, skinny adapters go with skinny snap ons. But wait, there’s more.

Sewing part manufacturers are notorious for not telling anybody what parts are compatible with what. It’s a big mess. Which is why at Sewing Parts Online we take the time to test the parts, find out what’s compatible with what, and then guarantee it. During one of these tests, we discovered that the [skinny] low shank adapter and the [skinny] slant shank adapter are sized differently.

This means that even though you know you have a skinny snap on presser foot, it doesn’t mean that it will necessarily fit with your skinny snap on presser foot adapter. You must first determine what kind of shank type you have to make sure it will fit the presser foot you have. We know that’s a lot to think about, so we figured it out for you.

If you have a skinny low shank snap on adapter, we can guarantee you can use these skinny snap on feet:

If you have a skinny slant shank snap on adapter, we can guarantee you can use these skinny snap on feet:

I hope this was helpful. For more information about these feet and what adapter goes with what, visit our blog. The link is in the description below. If you need any of these parts, visit us online at www.sewingpartsonline.com. If you want to come and hang out with our sewing community, visit us on FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest, and Instagram…we’re everywhere. Be sure to like this video, share this video, and, of course, subscribe for next week’s sewing video.

Mary November 12, 2017 at 4:51 am

Dear Sarah, I have a Singer Creative touch fashion machine 1036 with I think a slant foot? I’d like to purchase a kit with a variety of presser feet but don’t know if they make a set that fits my machine or if they make an adapter shank that will work so I can purchase a universal set. I also saw a foot that trims the fabric like a serger. Can you offer any suggestions?

Sarah November 13, 2017 at 10:52 am

Hi, Mary! We have this kit for your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/slant-shank-quilting-feet-kit.aspx
As long as your machine has a snap on adapter, you should be able to use this snap on kit:

Mary November 13, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Dear Sarah, Thank you for your speedy response. Looking over all the available slant shank presser feet on your site, I came across a Snap on shank,” slant shank #5011-60″ it looks wider like it might fit the newer presser feet available. My 1036 has the taller slant shank, I wondering if this adapter will fit my machine so that I’m not restricted to just Singer presser feet? Also will the “Free motion guide foot slant shank #P60417” fit my taller slant shank? Thanking you, Mary

Sarah November 15, 2017 at 8:57 am

Hi, Mary! Yes, the #5011-60 will fit your machine and will work with the kit. The https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/free-motion-guide-foot-singer-p60417.aspx will also fit your machine.

annie November 8, 2017 at 2:30 am

uurrgg
I’ve been sewing since age 9. I am 62 now.
havent sewn in a number of years due to illness in my family.
Have nothing but time now and tons of material.
I have several older machines and several boxes of singer accessories.
about to start making aprons, thinking of using bias binding.
this video has me thinking of buying a new machine and new attachments.
i did not want to spent that kind of money.

Sarah November 8, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Hi, Annie! We have many attachments for older machines – even some that attach binding for you. Which sewing machines (make and models) do you own?

Linda October 31, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I just bought a 42 pc presser foot set that was supposed to fit my Singer low shank and it does not fit in my shank wondering if I can buy a shank that will fit my Singer low profile feet set and my Singer Model 428 so that I can use my new feet?

Sarah November 1, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Hi, Linda! I don’t see any information on a Singer 428. Is your sewing machine a Singer 4228?

Sara September 18, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Has anyone made a 3d printer attachment making singer model 9034 slant shank fit the new standard universal snap on feet?

Sarah September 19, 2017 at 9:05 am

That would be brilliant, but not that I know of.

Noula N. August 2, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Hi I have a 30year old Kenmore sewing machine and would love to find a 1/4 inch foot for my quilting projects. Any suggestions as to where I can find one?

Sarah August 3, 2017 at 8:39 am

Hi! We have many presser feet for Kenmore machines. Do you know your model number?

Moon Moehring July 31, 2017 at 10:08 am

I’m looking for a telescopic thread guide for a ZUKI baby lock. It’s a 4 thread I need. Do you have one?

Sarah July 31, 2017 at 12:47 pm