Home Presser Feet Tutorials Understanding Singer Shanks and Snap On Presser Feet

Understanding Singer Shanks and Snap On Presser Feet

Hey, everyone! I’m Sarah with sewingpartsonline.com and today we’re going to clear up some of the confusion surrounding snap on presser feet, specifically Singer’s snap on presser feet.

When you think of a snap on presser foot, you usually picture this. It’s a pretty generic snap on presser foot. As you know, it attaches to a snap on presser foot adapter. I’m holding a low shank one. They go together like this.  It’s pretty simple and you see these a lot.

However, Singer decided to do their own thing and make a proprietary low shank adapter and a proprietary slant shank adapter. These adapters fit their own proprietary snap on feet. These are sized a little bit differently than the ones you’re used to seeing. Let me show you what I mean.

For the sake of this video, we’re going to call the Singer proprietary adapters and proprietary feet “skinny adapters” and “skinny feet” because their attachment bar is just a little bit skinnier than the regular snap ons.

Let’s compare the two types. This is our skinny snap on adapter . This is our regular snap on adapter . This is a skinny snap on foot. This is the regular snap on foot. See the difference?

As you can see, the regular snap on feet won’t work with the skinny snap on adapters. And the skinny snap on presser feet won’t work with the regular snap on adapters. Bottom line, skinny adapters go with skinny snap ons. But wait, there’s more.

Sewing part manufacturers are notorious for not telling anybody what parts are compatible with what. It’s a big mess. Which is why at Sewing Parts Online we take the time to test the parts, find out what’s compatible with what, and then guarantee it. During one of these tests, we discovered that the [skinny] low shank adapter and the [skinny] slant shank adapter are sized differently.

This means that even though you know you have a skinny snap on presser foot, it doesn’t mean that it will necessarily fit with your skinny snap on presser foot adapter. You must first determine what kind of shank type you have to make sure it will fit the presser foot you have. We know that’s a lot to think about, so we figured it out for you.

If you have a skinny low shank snap on adapter, we can guarantee you can use these skinny snap on feet:

If you have a skinny slant shank snap on adapter, we can guarantee you can use these skinny snap on feet:

I hope this was helpful. For more information about these feet and what adapter goes with what, visit our blog. The link is in the description below. If you need any of these parts, visit us online at www.sewingpartsonline.com. If you want to come and hang out with our sewing community, visit us on FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest, and Instagram…we’re everywhere. Be sure to like this video, share this video, and, of course, subscribe for next week’s sewing video.

Courtney August 9, 2018 at 11:16 am

I purchased this adapter from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UO2WZO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which *does* fit on my Singer 628 and 648 Touch n Sews. But, the foot set I bought: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096EG4B0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 doesn’t work with this adapter as the bars on them are too skinny to clip into the adapter I bought.

What do I need to purchase exactly? The two links posted for “zig zag and straight kit” look to have the same adapter which looks like the wrong one for me. I don’t want to buy the feet and have them not work either! Also, is there a zipper foot that is snap on compatible for my machine?

CustomerService August 10, 2018 at 12:46 pm

Hello Courtney! The shank or adapter you had purchased is known as the skinny shank. That shank will only work on select feet that have a very narrow area where the adapter snaps into. You can view some of these feet via the links below:

I hope this helps!

Sherry August 4, 2018 at 11:28 am

Do you have one that fits the Singer 127? I didn’t see that model listed on the ones I looked at. I’m assuming it would also fit the model 27 treadle.

CustomerService August 8, 2018 at 8:20 am

The Singer 127 and 27 are low shank machines. Below is a link for feet we offer. Also, we have a couple of different kits that include an adapter to use a variety of different snap on feet:

Kate July 28, 2018 at 5:14 pm

Hey there, I have a Singer Merritt 4530, which has a low-shank skinny snap-on adapter. Looking at the wide snap-on adapter that you sell, it doesn’t look like my machine is guaranteed to fit with it. Can you give me more information on whether it will fit?

CustomerService August 3, 2018 at 10:56 am

I am sorry, but we do not have a wide shank that is guaranteed to fit. However, we do offer a kit that includes different snap on feet and it also includes the shank that is guaranteed to work with those feet included. I would suggest this for your machine. You can view that kit below:

Rose July 26, 2018 at 11:58 am

Hi Sarah,
My sewing machine is Singer 328K low shank and straight presser foot. I want to do monogramming using the vintage Singer monogrammer, which foot or adapter that I need in order to use this monogrammer? Please recommend. Thank you so very much.

CustomerService August 3, 2018 at 10:54 am

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have any information on the Vintage Monogrammer to guarantee any adapter on our site. Please accept our apologies. I would suggest contacting Singer directly for that information.

Dez July 23, 2018 at 1:11 am

Hi…. I bought a 1/4″ quilt foot but it does not clip onto my singer, I’ve never had a problem before. Do I need an adapter?
It is singer 6269/9900. Is it low shank or high shank.
Thanks

CustomerService July 24, 2018 at 4:01 pm

Hello Dez. I am showing that your machine is a slant shank machine. We would have two different shanks for using snap on feet depending on the snap-on foot you have. You can view the “wide” and “skinny” adapters for slant shank machines below:

I hope this helps!

Sheryl April 28, 2018 at 12:09 am

I have a Singer 6105 made in 1978 that I use as my back up machine. My newer electronic Babylock is needing service. I need to use my Babylock ruffler or my Babylock gathering foot to make a ruffle for the hem of some pajama pants. Can I use these feet with my older Singer, which by the way, I love. It’s mechanical and doesn’t mess up often at all! 🙂

CustomerService May 1, 2018 at 8:54 am

I would recommend contacting our support team at 888-824-1192 with the model #’s of both machines and they can look up the answer for you.

Sheila M Albert April 18, 2018 at 12:18 am

Very good info but I don’t see info on the foot I’m interested in. Please let me know if it will work. I have a 500A Rocketeer and wanting a overcast foot. Will the slant shank adapter and overcast singer foot work together on my machine? Help! So confusing. Thank you for your help.

CustomerService April 26, 2018 at 9:12 am

I would recommend against using adapters whenever possible. The part that woul d work for you in this instance for sure is https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/overcast-foot-singer-slant-255s.aspx

Nancy Whitney March 21, 2018 at 6:58 pm

i am looking for the skinny slant shank snap on presser foot for 1/4 in quilting. Is there such a thing and where can I find it. My machine is a 9420 model.

CustomerService April 26, 2018 at 4:23 pm

Unfortunately, I do not show that we have a skinny slant shank snap-on presser foot in 1/4″; however, we do have a screw on type. Two options can be viewed via the following links:

Katharine Sacca March 7, 2018 at 7:59 pm

I am officially mind-boggled with trying to figure out what to buy. I have a Singer 401A, which I love, but I haven’t seen its attachments since I moved over a year ago. Every description I read seems to say maybe, maybe not. I feel like I should pluck daisies. I’d like to buy a kit, if possible, but I’d need a slant shank adapter as well, and I can’t seem to match any up. Every kit I find mentions other brands it will fit, and I know that can’t be right, because Singer’s the oddball. Can you help me?

Sarah March 12, 2018 at 11:03 am

Hi! It can be very confusing. We guarantee these feet will fit your Singer 401A: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/singer-401a-sewing-machine-parts.aspx#filter:ptype_gmcfeed_1:$2520Presser$2520Feet

Jennie April 22, 2018 at 9:34 am

I had a Singer 1120 with about 20 different feet which died. I was gifted a Singer 9134 which has the skinny slant shank. Will this adapters on your website left me use the 1120 feet with the 9134, Snap On Shank, Slant Shank #5011-60? It says it fits the 9134 but not sure about the width of the bar for the feet.

CustomerService April 26, 2018 at 10:12 am

Hi Jennie! The #5011-60 is a generic shank so it is not guaranteed to fit all of the wider snap on feet. However, it should fit most wider snap on feet rather than the skinny shank that originally came with your Singer 9134. The #5011-60 is the best option to try in this case. I hope this helps!

Naomi February 27, 2018 at 2:15 am

This is the most comprehensive explanation on the subject. Thank you. I have a Singer which uses a slim shank. It looks like it fits under category high. What kind of adapter do I need so I can use presser feet with wide bars? The machine shows “Harmonie 200” on it.

Sarah March 12, 2018 at 9:55 am

Hi! I have limited information on your Singer Harmonie 200. To determine the exact shank style, follow these instructions: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sewing-machine-presser-feet.aspx
These are the high shank snap on adapters we carry: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/high-shank-presser-feet.aspx#filter:ptype_gmcfeed_1:$2520Mechanical
There are the low shank snap on adapters we carry: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/shank-standard-snap-on-low-presser-foot.aspx

Sarah February 12, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Hi, Sarah,

Wonderfully enlightening! Thank you. I could use some additional help if you have a moment.

I use a Singer model 27 (an old treadle machine, circa 1907, with the vibrating shuttle bobbin) for piecing my quilts. It sews like a dream and the stitches are tighter than those made by my Viking Designer 1.

I would love to pick up a 1/4″ guide foot for it as I’ve been using a general purpose foot plus a seam guide that I have to remove and replace every time I change the bobbin.

An adapter would be great, but I’m not sure if any snap-on adapters work with my machine, and because of its age it’s really difficult to find accessories for it or even information about what will work with it.

Sarah

Sarah February 19, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hi! It appears your machine is a low shank and is compatible with this 1/4″ foot: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/low-shank-1-4-foot-anf7.aspx
I’m not entirely sure if a low shank snap on adapter would work well or not. You could always give it a try – if it doesn’t work you can send it back for a refund (minus return shipping). This is one that might fit your machine, but I cannot guarantee it: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/presser-foot-shank-babylock-brother-xe2555101.aspx

Melody February 2, 2018 at 6:12 pm

I have a Singer 6235 with a skinny slant shank for my skinny feet. Is there an adapter I can buy to fit the fat feet? I came across the fat feet in my shopping travels but they don’t fit my shank. It seems simple enough to just screw on a shank that attaches to the fat feet. Can you help me?

Sarah February 5, 2018 at 10:45 am

Hi! Unfortunately, the slant shank snap-on adapters only fit the skinny snap-on feet. There isn’t a way to use the wide snap-on feet with a slant shank machine. I’m so sorry – I know it’s disappointing.

Toni January 31, 2018 at 7:41 am

Hi Sarah,
Do you know if it’s possible to convert an older low shank screw on Singer foot to a slant shank style? I am trying to use an old hemstitching foot from a Singer 221 on my Singer 401a (to my knowledge they never made a hemstitch foot for my machine). If you know of an adapter that might fit I would be grateful!

Sarah February 5, 2018 at 10:35 am

Hi, Toni! I wish there was! Unfortunately, a low shank cannot be converted to a slant shank or vice versa. I’m sorry!

Sandy January 25, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Hi!
I have an old Singer 6215c machine and would like to purchase a 1/4 inch quilting foot. I’ve bought a couple online, and none seem to fit the shank. Can you advise what foot would fit my machine?
Thanks!

Sarah January 30, 2018 at 9:28 am

HI, Sandy! This foot should work well with your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/1-4-inch-foot-spring-type-low-shank-p60610.aspx

Jennifer January 12, 2018 at 6:27 am

Hi, I need a snap on shank for my Singer Melodie 50 sewing machine. Please help

Sarah January 12, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Hi, Jennifer! I will need to contact Singer directly to find a guaranteed snap on shank for your machine. I should probably have an answer by Tuesday evening. Thank you for your patience.

Theresa January 6, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Hello,

HELP!!!
I am a beginner, I have ordered my first sewing machine SINGER Promise 1512, however I noticed that I will need a overcast/overedge presser foot. My worry is that I might buy the wrong one. Can you advise me where and which one to buy. The SINGER website seems to every presser foot listed – except the one that I need.

Sarah January 11, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Hi, Theresa! This Overcast Foot is guaranteed to fit your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/overcasting-foot-snap-on-5011-12.aspx

Wanda Malvik December 27, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Wanted to buy the BindiGo Bias/Tape Binding Foot. I have a Singer sewing machine, model 9110DV, Serial number N433501134. Can’t figure out if the high or low shank adapter will fit the bindiGo presser foot. Can’t you help me determine which adapter will fit the bindiGo binding foot.
wmalvik@yahoo.com

Sarah December 29, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Hi! Your machine is a Slant Shank. There isn’t an adapter that will work with that foot for your machine. However, we do sell the Slant Shank Binder Foot for your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/tape-binding-foot-singer-slant-shank.aspx

Sharon H December 15, 2017 at 4:46 pm

I have a Singer 57817C will the Buttonholer Ruby Slant #RB-S fit this model? And would you please do a tutorial for the buttonholer?

Sarah December 19, 2017 at 10:46 am

Hi, Sharon! I can’t guarantee that part will fit your machine. This one should work with your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sliding-buttonhole-foot-singer-313999-451.aspx
We have a video demonstrating buttonhole feet here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/blog/beginners-guide-sewing-episode-12

Alysen Chappell December 11, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Hi Sarah,
I just discovered your VERY informational site today and would like to say Thanks! I have a Singer Touch & Sew 758 that one of my cousins gave me about 5 years ago. She didn’t use it anymore and since I and my daughter both sew … Anyway, haven’t used it much but now I’d like to purchase a roll-hem foot, but it appears pretty complicated after doing some research online. Can’t buy a universal foot, this machine has a short, slant shank ….. Could you advise me please? I want to roll hem some chiffon that I had printed with some of my Mom’s artwork. I may have to hand hem or give them after Xmas…..

Sarah December 12, 2017 at 11:45 am

Hi! You can use this hemmer foot with your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/hemmer-foot-singer-slant-shank-1-8.aspx

Amalia December 5, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Hi Sarah,
I have a Singer 4562 T and they (Singer) told me it’s a slant shank machine. I bought several feet for slant shank, but most of them don’t work with my machine. When I read about machine compatibility with any foot, my machine number does not appear anywhere. Do you know why? Is it too old? Any suggestion what should I do to have fancy presser feet compatible with this model? Thanks!!

Sarah December 6, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Hi, Amalia! Did you buy those feet with us? Are they not fitting on your shank?
We guarantee that these slant shank feet will work with your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/singer-4562-sewing-machine-parts.aspx#filter:ptype_gmcfeed_1:$2520Presser$2520Feet

Amalia December 6, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Hi Sarah,
I didn’t buy them at Singer, maybe that’s the reason. Thank you for your answer! Great help!! Have a wonderful Christmas!!

Sarah December 8, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Mel December 2, 2017 at 5:13 am

Hi Sarah, I just ordered a Teflon foot but it can’t get it to attach to my skinny low shank adapter that fits on my Singer 2808c machine. Help! I’m starting to freak out, I have a number of bags to get started on for Christmas.

Sarah December 4, 2017 at 10:08 am

Hi, Mel! No worries! Is it a snap on foot? You likely need the wider snap on adapter: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/presser-foot-shank-babylock-brother-xe2555101.aspx

Laura November 20, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Hi Sarah! I just bought a Singer presser foot kit but to my dismay, they don’t fit to the skinny low shank adapter of my sewing machine. Can I change the shank of my sewing machine so it fits to the presser feet that I just bought? If yes, what kind of adapter do I need? Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Sarah November 20, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Hi Laura! You can change the shank to fit the wider snap on presser feet. What is the model number of your machine?

Laura November 27, 2017 at 7:54 pm

Hi Sarah! It’s a Singer cg500/550.

Sarah November 28, 2017 at 11:25 am Reply
Laura November 28, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Thank you, Sarah!

Monserrat Hernandez November 19, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I would like to know where in the machine I can find the Model Number for a Singer Sewing machine. It is an old machine which was given to me and I lost the presser foot when I was transporting it.

Sarah November 20, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Singer machines have the model numbers are located on either the bottom of the machine, the back of the machine, or on the right side of the machine below the handwheel. It is not located on the motor.

Mary November 12, 2017 at 4:51 am

Dear Sarah, I have a Singer Creative touch fashion machine 1036 with I think a slant foot? I’d like to purchase a kit with a variety of presser feet but don’t know if they make a set that fits my machine or if they make an adapter shank that will work so I can purchase a universal set. I also saw a foot that trims the fabric like a serger. Can you offer any suggestions?

Sarah November 13, 2017 at 10:52 am

Hi, Mary! We have this kit for your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/slant-shank-quilting-feet-kit.aspx
As long as your machine has a snap on adapter, you should be able to use this snap on kit:

Mary November 13, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Dear Sarah, Thank you for your speedy response. Looking over all the available slant shank presser feet on your site, I came across a Snap on shank,” slant shank #5011-60″ it looks wider like it might fit the newer presser feet available. My 1036 has the taller slant shank, I wondering if this adapter will fit my machine so that I’m not restricted to just Singer presser feet? Also will the “Free motion guide foot slant shank #P60417” fit my taller slant shank? Thanking you, Mary

Sarah November 15, 2017 at 8:57 am

Hi, Mary! Yes, the #5011-60 will fit your machine and will work with the kit. The https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/free-motion-guide-foot-singer-p60417.aspx will also fit your machine.

annie November 8, 2017 at 2:30 am

uurrgg
I’ve been sewing since age 9. I am 62 now.
havent sewn in a number of years due to illness in my family.
Have nothing but time now and tons of material.
I have several older machines and several boxes of singer accessories.
about to start making aprons, thinking of using bias binding.
this video has me thinking of buying a new machine and new attachments.
i did not want to spent that kind of money.

Sarah November 8, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Hi, Annie! We have many attachments for older machines – even some that attach binding for you. Which sewing machines (make and models) do you own?

Linda October 31, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I just bought a 42 pc presser foot set that was supposed to fit my Singer low shank and it does not fit in my shank wondering if I can buy a shank that will fit my Singer low profile feet set and my Singer Model 428 so that I can use my new feet?

Sarah November 1, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Hi, Linda! I don’t see any information on a Singer 428. Is your sewing machine a Singer 4228?

Sara September 18, 2017 at 12:24 pm

Has anyone made a 3d printer attachment making singer model 9034 slant shank fit the new standard universal snap on feet?

Sarah September 19, 2017 at 9:05 am

That would be brilliant, but not that I know of.

Noula N. August 2, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Hi I have a 30year old Kenmore sewing machine and would love to find a 1/4 inch foot for my quilting projects. Any suggestions as to where I can find one?

Sarah August 3, 2017 at 8:39 am

Hi! We have many presser feet for Kenmore machines. Do you know your model number?

Moon Moehring July 31, 2017 at 10:08 am

I’m looking for a telescopic thread guide for a ZUKI baby lock. It’s a 4 thread I need. Do you have one?

Sarah July 31, 2017 at 12:47 pm