Home Sewing TutorialsChristmas Sewing Projects 10 Minute Teapot Coasters

10 Minute Teapot Coasters

Coasters are not only functional, but one of the easiest projects to sew. Why not deviate from the standard square and circle shapes to something a little more fun? Not only is this a fast project, but it will reduce that overflowing pile of scrap fabric you just can’t throw away. Mix and match different fabrics for a truly unique set of coasters. Basically, all you do is lay a piece of fabric on top of a piece of fleece, sandwich some batting in between, and sew a satin stitch along a tracing of your shape. That’s it. You cut out the shape along the edge of the zigzag stitch, put a little Fray Check or dabs of clear glue along the edge, and you’re finished. If really want to jazz up your coasters, add some cool quilting or appliqué.

step finished

I’m a sucker for teapots, but if they aren’t your style, no worries! Simply browse the web for your desired shape and print it out to make your own template (sea turtle, heart, football helmet, skull, star, flower, etc.) Try to pick a design with a large round area for your cup to sit. I find the best size fits a quarter of a sheet of computer paper.

teapot0001

Supplies

Template

6 in by 6 in piece of fabric, fleece, and batting

Pins or basting spray

Walking Foot (highly recommended, but not required.)

Top Stitching Needle

Embroidery Thread (recommended because it gives off a pretty sheen, but general purpose thread works fine)

Fray Check (If you don’t have any, you can dab clear glue along the edges instead)

Scissors

Water Soluble pen or Chalk (If you don’t have these, a pen or pencil will work, just make sure it won’t show through your stitches)

Step 1

Print and cut out the template.

step 1

Step 2

Trace template on right side of fabric.

step 2 copy

Step 3

Layer traced fabric on top of fleece and batting, with wrong sides together. Pin or baste in place. If you are using a Walking Foot, one or two pins is enough to make sure your fabric doesn’t shift.

step 3 copy

Step 4

Set your machine to a satin (short zigzag). I set my stitch length to 0.5. My width was 3.5.

Step 5

Start your satin  stitch in the least noticeable place and slowly sew. You will have to stop often to lift the pressure foot and re position. I found it easiest to follow traced line in the center of my walking foot so that the stitches zigzagged back and forth over the line.

step 6 copy

Step 6

Cut out the coaster as close to the stitches as you can without actually severing the thread.

step 7 copy

Step 7

Apply Fray Check to the edges of the coaster to really lock in the stitches. If you don’t have any Fray Check handy, you can smear some clear glue along the edges. You only need to use a tiny bit.

teapot coaster

What shape will you be using for your coasters? We’d love to hear what you made – leave us a message in the comment section below. Happy Sewing!

Laura Kowalski March 5, 2017 - 9:23 am

This is really cute and I’ll give it a try but going use my serger

Torry June 16, 2016 - 2:44 pm

The pattern is not large enough for a coaster. I’m disappointed. Enlarging it will take a trip to get it and paying to have it done. I wanted to get these sewn. Sigh.

Ellen June 16, 2016 - 4:06 pm

Hello Torry

You should be able to choose the size of your image on the print screen. After you click print the print screen will give you the option of “Full Page”, “4×6”, “5×7” so on and so forth. In the tutorial Sarah says the best size is a quarter of a sheet of paper, you can select the 3.5×5 (4) option to print four templates each a quarter of the sheet of paper.

Margaret September 2, 2015 - 8:04 am

How did you cut out the hole in the teapot handle? I am trying to do a painstakingly slow process using an exacto knife. Is there an easier way?

Sarah September 4, 2015 - 7:17 am

I used very small, curved embroidery scissors. They’re a life saver!

kara June 27, 2013 - 12:08 am

These are great- Thanks for sharing- I have recently taken up sewing and have been trying my hand at a little of everything- I did my first few applique the other day- and I must say that cutting the shape out around the satin stitch is BRILLIANT- I can hardly wait to try this out- It is also a perfect project for practicing and improving all of the skills that are needed to complete this project without having to go through a ton of fabric. Never new that sewing a straight line could be a challenge :)…. My finished projects are improving, thanks to everyone who posts these tutorials. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Sarah June 27, 2013 - 1:44 pm

Thank you and congrats on doing your first applique!

{Reader Tutorial}10 Minute Teapot Coasters | And Sew We Craft April 2, 2013 - 10:30 am

[…] Click here for the full tutorial! […]

Ninette March 30, 2013 - 6:31 pm

Me encanta tu idea para regalar a mis amigas solo necesito encontrar el diseño adecuado yo amo las teteras y los gatos pero otras prefieren flores o perros, gracias por compartir

Loretta Davis March 29, 2013 - 5:22 pm

This is the cutest teapot pad I have ever seen. I copied all the pages on how to make this and I just hope mine turns out as good as yours. Thank you very much for all the info.
Sincerely, Loretta

Caroline Wright March 29, 2013 - 4:39 pm

Hummm … love the idea. I am having an old fashioned bridal shower for my niece with tea cups and silver etc. To make these a bit more elegant, I believe I will give it a try and sew the pattern so there is no sewing on the outside or cutting out the pattern after sewn.

I will attempt to turn it inside out and top stitch across the bottom of the tea pot …. love the idea. Thank you for sharing!

Sunnie Mitchell March 29, 2013 - 2:27 pm

These are so clever! I am making a kitchen set housewarming gift for friends and adding four of these with tea mugs will put a lovely finishing touch on the gift, thank-you!