Home SPO TV Flatlocking on a Serger / Overlock Machine

Flatlocking on a Serger / Overlock Machine

If you’ve ever wanted to cry after playing with your serger, you’re not alone. These things can be tricky. In this video we go over the basics of creating a Flatlock stitch on an overlock machine. Remember, this is a time for learning. Messing up is okay. Getting frustrated is okay. Kicking the dog is not okay.

In this video we go over how to do a 2 thread and 3 thread Flatlock stitch. We show how to install a Spreader (aka converter) and a couple tips and tricks for making a better flatlock.

Don’t be afraid to adjust the settings and see what happens. After all, “an expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field”, or so says Niels Bohr. You can do it!

If you need a spreader for your machine, please leave us a comment or message us with your serger make and model number. We know those little buggers can be hard to find. And, as always, if you need any supplies, needles, or thread, be sure to browse around and let us know if we can find something for you!

Krista December 13, 2018 at 4:07 am

Hey , I have Husqvarna Viking Huskylock 905 and I lost thread overlock convertor . Is it possible to get new anywhere ?

CustomerService December 13, 2018 at 9:41 am

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but the 2 Thread Converter for your machine has been discontinued. I suggest using the part number (4160148-01) to check a used parts store such as eBay, or trying to contact the manufacturer which is Viking. Their number is 1-800-446-2333. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Krista December 20, 2018 at 3:22 am

Thank you for info!

Lisa Elizabeth September 17, 2018 at 11:02 pm

this is really a helpful tutorial. thanks for the help. and appreciate your video job. it is very understanding measure. thanks

JoAnn Harris August 4, 2018 at 5:26 pm

I have a SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish and can’t find my spreader. Where can I get one for it?

CustomerService August 8, 2018 at 8:16 am

Hello Joann! We do have the Looper Spreader for your Singer. You can purchase that via the link below:

Jeff March 4, 2018 at 5:04 pm

is there an upper looper spreader for Brother 1034d?

Sarah March 6, 2018 at 11:28 am

Unfortunately, the Brother 1034d does not have a spreader. It is only able to do 3 and 4 thread stitches.

rosemary May 16, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Hi, my model is babylock BL5370ED. Do you have a spreader for it?

Sarah May 17, 2017 at 11:45 am

Hi, Rosemary! Currently, we don’t have a spreader for that machine on our site. I am forwarding your inquiry to our product specialist team and will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you!

Sarah May 17, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Hi, Mary! This is the spreader for your machine: https://goo.gl/mHZERh

Maureen Prairie April 27, 2017 at 12:42 am

Hello. I am looking for a spreader/converter for my Singer ProFinish overlocker 14CG754. Where can I obtain one and what is the cost and delivery time to Canada?

Sarah May 2, 2017 at 10:41 am

Hi, Maureen! This is the spreader that fits your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/looper-spreader-singer-550547.aspx

Kim Churchman March 13, 2017 at 12:49 pm

I need a new spreader for my singer 14sh764 and cannot find it anywhere. Please help!

Sarah March 16, 2017 at 1:08 pm Reply
Liz Kershaw January 17, 2017 at 11:55 am

Hi, I am new to serging having just acquired a Singer 14SH754. The manual could be more explicit and although I’ve watched your flatlocking video I am still unclear whether the upper looper is threaded or unthreaded when using the converter . Can you explain what the converter does please?

Sarah January 18, 2017 at 10:13 am

Hi, Liz! When using the converter, the upper looper is not threaded.

Betsy September 19, 2016 at 9:50 am

I’m in need of a converter for my bernina 200de serger.

Ellen September 19, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Hello Betsy

Unfortunately, that little converter doesn’t seem to be available. I’ve been doing some checking and can’t seem to find anyone that carries it.

Melissa March 16, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Hello, just curious if you have a spreader/converter for a Bernina 1100D serger?

TIA

Sarah G. March 21, 2016 at 9:13 am

Unfortunately, we do not. You’re best bet would be to go through your local Bernina dealer

Anita Alessi March 3, 2015 at 7:49 am

Best site ever, so glad I found it for supplies and videos.

Maggie February 20, 2015 at 7:07 am

I am sure I am going to get a lot of help here – thanks for all the information.

Teri August 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Hi I just bought a 2000de Bernina serger and I need the converter aka spreader can you help me? Thank You

Teri August 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I just bought a 2000DE Bernina serger and I need the converter spreader could you help me? Thank you.

Ruby April 8, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hi Sarah, thank you for your helpful videos, trying the 2 thread flatlock with my spreader on, on my Serger, I have this plate shown on your website item # 60993
is the needle looking thing in the middle of the plate the ‘stitch finger’ you are referring to in the video?

Sarah April 9, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Hi Ruby! Thanks for watching! I don’t think that is the stitch finger, but I would have to look at your machine. What is the make and model of your serger?

Ro February 10, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I have a Singer 14SH654 it didn’t come with a spreader. Where can I find a spreader for it?

Sarah February 11, 2014 at 9:59 am

Hi Ro! We called Singer, and according to them, that machine doesn’t work with a spreader, however their site says it does. Does your user manual have instructions for using a spreader?

Ro February 14, 2014 at 2:38 am

Thank you for your effort. I downloaded & looked at the schematic for the 14sh754 & 14sh654 and they both appear to be identical. I found the part number for the 14sh754 spreader on the schematics. I tried to click on the spreader link you have on this webpg but it appears to be stuck in a loop. I am pleased indeed & will be upgrading my serger…lol [$25 is a big difference than $100+]. I had already replaced the needle plate & the expense on a new serger would be cutting into to my material budget. Thank you so much for your kind help and assistance.

Ro March 15, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Hi Sarah;
Just wanted to let you know that it worked (after some tinkering). Using a regular cotton fabric print as a test strip:
Left needle (only); LN set @ 3; RN none; UL spreader; LL set @ 1; stitch length 3; Diff. feed 1.0 & seam with finger set @ “S” & seam width adjustment knob set @ 3.0mm. Thanks for everything. I am one happy camper. 😉

Ro March 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Almost forgot fabric must be kept on the 4.5 throat plate marker. Thks again. 🙂

Jerome November 8, 2013 at 4:34 pm

How do I go about sewing fake fur, it is about 1 1/2 ” to 2″ thick. Will I have to shave around the Sim

Sarah November 13, 2013 at 7:31 am

Hi Jerome! I’m a little confused – what do you mean by shave around the sim? The trick to sewing fur is to cut it correctly and use the correct needle and foot. The last time I sewed thick fur, I used a 90/14 Universal Needle and a Walking Foot – worked wonderfully! As far as cutting, you don’t want to cut the fur. You want to cut the netting and pull the fur apart. It can be a tad time consuming, but it saves your fur.