Home Beginner's Guide to Sewing Beginner’s Guide to Sewing (Ep 15): Alterations Part 2

Beginner’s Guide to Sewing (Ep 15): Alterations Part 2

Welcome back to the Beginner’s Guide to Sewing! In episode 15 we learn a simple technique for lengthening hems by adding a hem facing. This technique can be used on pants, skirts, dresses, shirts…even curtains and table clothes. It’s even a great way to add a fun decorative touch to your projects.

This skill is particularly helpful for those with children, as extending the pant length will extend life of your children’s clothing.

Feel free to have fun with contrasting fabric and colors for a bold, custom look.

vilma Anderson November 8, 2015 at 4:33 am

I need some help in setting up my color change system in my embroidery machine. It is 15 needle. The cam is either loose or too tight and so my color change does not move easily from needle to needle. Would appreciate any help. Thanks. Vilma

Sarah November 11, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hi Vilma! What is the make and model of your machine? And do you have the manual?

TINA LAFRENZ March 29, 2015 at 1:36 am

I have been sewing professionally for 20 years.(I am 40). I was watching these videos, (I used to teach/train sewing also), and I was amazed!!! there are so many time saving tricks that the beginner could benefit from. I wish I had not had to learn the hard way. these videos are extremely helpful to a beginner and moderate seamstress. keep up the great work and keep the videos coming!!!

Barbara Hamrick February 24, 2015 at 9:57 am

I have a new belt for my 158.18030 sewing machine but I can not figure out how to install it. Can you help me. Thanks so much. Barbara

Sarah February 24, 2015 at 10:59 am

Hi Barbara! You have to use a screwdriver to remove the back sewing machine case, which will expose the belt. Then, simply remove the old one and replace the new one. Make sure to turn the hand wheel towards yourself a few times to make sure the belt is secure.

Barbara Hamrick February 24, 2015 at 9:54 am

need to replace belt. I have the belt but don’t know how to replace it. Hope you can help me.

Claudette February 16, 2015 at 11:08 am

Hello Sir/Madame
Do you have a video or sketch showing how to thread a VX 1400 sewing machine?

Sarah February 18, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Hi! We don’t have a video showing how to thread the vx1400, but we do have a video showing how to thread the vx1435, which is very similar to the vx1400. Here is the video: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/blog/beginners-guide-sewing-ins-outs-sewing-machine/

We also have the manual for the vx 1400: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/instruction-manual-brother-vx-1400.aspx

Please let me know if I can help with anything else. Good luck!

viola oliver February 6, 2015 at 10:57 am

I have a Simplicity sewing machine, model 2507 and i have misplaced my manual, I need to be refreshed ( as i haven’t used it for awhile ) on how to remove the free arm so i can get to my bobbin Any help will be greatly appreciated…… Thank you Viola.

HAWA MWITA HAJI January 6, 2015 at 8:09 am

Hi
I need to know how much will cost for wimsew w-246 please!

Sarah January 6, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hi! I’m so sorry, but we don’t sell that machine. It looks like it can be bought at some UK dealers. Where are you located?

Lidia January 2, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Hi,
I need help threading my serger pro.

Sarah January 3, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Hi Linda! We teach how to thread a standard serger here: How to Thread a Serger – Overlock Machine: https://youtu.be/MrqHC2CNjVI

Jim December 8, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Need a dust collector for a model 794

Sarah December 11, 2014 at 6:06 am

Hi Jim! Do you mean dust cover?

Joan Adkins December 1, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I would like 2 see bobbin’s for 515 singer please

Sarah December 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Hi Ms. Joan! Is your Singer the 2515, 3515, or the 1515 model?

Mary Riebe November 29, 2014 at 9:19 am

Do you have a video for threading a white 3300?

Sarah December 2, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi Mary! I’m sorry, we don’t have a video showing how to thread the White 3300. Do you have the manual?