Home Sewing Tutorials How to Sew a Pleated Fabric Face Mask with Step by Step Instructions

How to Sew a Pleated Fabric Face Mask with Step by Step Instructions

by Jeremy Kocourek

We’ve been getting calls and emails every single day asking for a video tutorial, showing how to sew your own face mask at home! As quickly as we could, we shot and edited a step by step video tutorial. The face mask utilizes a cutout section of a HEPA vacuum bag for added filtration.

Be sure to reach out to your local health care professionals or authorities to ensure they need masks and to learn any specifications for required mask materials, construction, and delivery. These masks will not prevent you or others from getting Coronavirus (COVID-19) and should not be used in place of a respirator or surgical-grade mask, but they may help prevent the spread of germs.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Homemade masks are not considered PPE since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-…)

Lydia April 2, 2020 - 4:10 pm

Can you pleasee tell me what that nice numbered mat is called and where I can get?

CustomerService April 4, 2020 - 11:02 am

We love this mat! It is the Dual Sided Cutting Mat by Quilter’s Select. You can view the size options here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/18inx24in-dual-sided-cutting-mat-quilters-select.aspx?

Irene Blakely March 28, 2020 - 9:25 pm

Very good information. I would like to receive the pattern, please.

Kathy March 30, 2020 - 11:09 am

Thank You. Nicely done

Marie April 3, 2020 - 2:24 pm

The instructive video was great! I am going to try to make this. I’ve been making a different pattern for local hospitals, friends, cashiers I see who are interested in mine. I have some new vacuum bags (HEPA and non HEPA) The HEPA ones, when put up to face are hard to breath thru. I like the coffee filter idea.

Marie April 3, 2020 - 2:28 pm

After doing a search, I am also reading about blue shop towels filtering out particles… interesting

Rosemary March 28, 2020 - 4:36 pm

Use a small crochet hook for inserting the elastic. I use a size 00. For use with family and friends I inserted a double layer of coffee filters which I had pressed and cut to size. I used the round ones and not the cone ones. I am making a bunch of these for our local hospital. The advised to check the hospital website for specifications on what is acceptable. My site just gave specifics as to how much of the face needed to be covered. The realize that folks making them at home do not necessarily have filter material. Thanks for the pattern, it seems easier that the one that I am working with, and I will see if it is a time saver.

Marti Blankenship March 27, 2020 - 10:25 pm

Has the vacuum cleaner bag been approved for people to breathe through. I previously heard these were not approved for facial masks.

Jeremy Kocourek March 30, 2020 - 11:21 am

Hi Marti,
To my knowledge, there has been no official release about that.

Joanne March 27, 2020 - 7:28 pm

Thank you for the tutorial. I like this for the pocket.
A purple thang ( thing?) will get the elastic right through.

Jeremy Kocourek March 27, 2020 - 7:55 pm

We completely forgot to show a product that would help! Also the ‘easy threader’ https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ez-threader.aspx

Patti March 27, 2020 - 5:50 pm

I agree with Rosanne, if you sew the pleats close to the edge of the fabric, it’s much easier to handle when you fold it over

Nichols Rachel March 27, 2020 - 4:08 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! Making masks as well!

Dana Marie March 27, 2020 - 1:25 pm

Thank you much for the how to vid on the mask! The young lady was easy to listen to and learn from

Rosanne March 27, 2020 - 12:50 pm

I like this pattern. May I suggest basting for the pleats on the last step, I think it would save time in the long run.