Home Sewing Tutorials How to Sew a Pleated Fabric Face Mask with Step by Step Instructions

How to Sew a Pleated Fabric Face Mask with Step by Step Instructions

by Jeremy Kocourek

We’ve been getting calls and emails every single day asking for a video tutorial, showing how to sew your own face mask at home! As quickly as we could, we shot and edited a step by step video tutorial. The face mask utilizes a cutout section so you can add interfacing for added filtration.

Be sure to reach out to your local health care professionals or authorities to ensure they need masks and to learn any specifications for required mask materials, construction, and delivery. These masks will not prevent you or others from getting Coronavirus (COVID-19) and should not be used in place of a respirator or surgical-grade mask, but they may help prevent the spread of germs.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Homemade masks are not considered PPE since their capability to protect HCP is unknown. Caution should be exercised when considering this option. Homemade masks should ideally be used in combination with a face shield that covers the entire front (that extends to the chin or below) and sides of the face. (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-…)

Donna August 21, 2020 - 2:58 pm

I dont remember seeing what the measurements of the fabric is suppose to be on both pieces, could you pleas send me those?? Thank you have a great day and be safe.

Loretta Turner August 19, 2020 - 7:36 am

Thank you, on making the face masks so sample. I haven’t tried my hands at one yet; but I feel more confident in trying after this video.

Mary E. August 14, 2020 - 7:53 pm

Your video was excellent! Not only for the clear demonstration, but also for the way you talked your way through it. So much better than a lot of other mask-making videos I’ve watched. I love that the opening for the insert is in the middle of the back of the mask. I will do this in the future. I was making pleated masks with the opening at the top which made it very difficult to insert the liner. Thank you so much for making this wonderful video!!! The only suggestion I would make would be to include a nose piece in the mask to get a very tight fit there. The first time I went into my doctor’s office wearing a mask during Covid-19, everyone who worked there stopped me in my tracks and said I needed to tighten the nose piece on my mask to seal it to my face. It would be very easy to add a nose piece to your pattern. Thanks, again!!!

Melissa June 13, 2020 - 5:06 pm

Thankyou for the tutorial!

Lydia April 2, 2020 - 4:10 pm

Can you pleasee tell me what that nice numbered mat is called and where I can get?

CustomerService April 4, 2020 - 11:02 am

We love this mat! It is the Dual Sided Cutting Mat by Quilter’s Select. You can view the size options here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/18inx24in-dual-sided-cutting-mat-quilters-select.aspx?

Minnie Allen July 21, 2020 - 4:22 pm

I think I need a simpler mask tutorial. I haven,t sewed in years. Help me start off again with some eeeeeaaaassssyyyy patterns. HELP!

datenut September 15, 2020 - 8:11 pm

Look on Pinterest and you tube.

Irene Blakely March 28, 2020 - 9:25 pm

Very good information. I would like to receive the pattern, please.

Kathy March 30, 2020 - 11:09 am

Thank You. Nicely done

Marie April 3, 2020 - 2:24 pm

The instructive video was great! I am going to try to make this. I’ve been making a different pattern for local hospitals, friends, cashiers I see who are interested in mine. I have some new vacuum bags (HEPA and non HEPA) The HEPA ones, when put up to face are hard to breath thru. I like the coffee filter idea.

Marie April 3, 2020 - 2:28 pm

After doing a search, I am also reading about blue shop towels filtering out particles… interesting

Rosemary March 28, 2020 - 4:36 pm

Use a small crochet hook for inserting the elastic. I use a size 00. For use with family and friends I inserted a double layer of coffee filters which I had pressed and cut to size. I used the round ones and not the cone ones. I am making a bunch of these for our local hospital. The advised to check the hospital website for specifications on what is acceptable. My site just gave specifics as to how much of the face needed to be covered. The realize that folks making them at home do not necessarily have filter material. Thanks for the pattern, it seems easier that the one that I am working with, and I will see if it is a time saver.

Marti Blankenship March 27, 2020 - 10:25 pm

Has the vacuum cleaner bag been approved for people to breathe through. I previously heard these were not approved for facial masks.

Jeremy Kocourek March 30, 2020 - 11:21 am

Hi Marti,
To my knowledge, there has been no official release about that.

Joanne March 27, 2020 - 7:28 pm

Thank you for the tutorial. I like this for the pocket.
A purple thang ( thing?) will get the elastic right through.

Jeremy Kocourek March 27, 2020 - 7:55 pm

We completely forgot to show a product that would help! Also the ‘easy threader’ https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ez-threader.aspx

Patti March 27, 2020 - 5:50 pm

I agree with Rosanne, if you sew the pleats close to the edge of the fabric, it’s much easier to handle when you fold it over

Nichols Rachel March 27, 2020 - 4:08 pm

Thank you for the tutorial! Making masks as well!

Dana Marie March 27, 2020 - 1:25 pm

Thank you much for the how to vid on the mask! The young lady was easy to listen to and learn from

Rosanne March 27, 2020 - 12:50 pm

I like this pattern. May I suggest basting for the pleats on the last step, I think it would save time in the long run.

Glenda Cobbin August 20, 2020 - 9:36 am

I love your tutorial. You explained every step easily. Thanks for sharing!