Create this uplifting Serenity Prayer Pillow Panel set to enhance your living area. This easy, classic project takes just under one hour to complete. All fabric and notions are available at Sewing Parts Online. Continue reading for a step-by-step tutorial.
Along with the typical sewing notions like pins, scissors/rotary cutters, you will need the following:
- Read all instructions completely before continuing project.
- Unless otherwise noted, all seam allowances are sewn at 1/4″.
- This tutorial shows the use of a serger machine, but it is not required.
- When cutting fabric, a rotary cutter is recommended for accuracy and ease of use.
CUT FABRIC PIECES
- Cut one panel of Moda, Grunge Basics, Olive Branch Fabric to be 13 1/2″ x 23″.
- Now, cut the panel in half to create two 13 1/2″ x 11 1/2″ pieces.
- Complete these steps again to create four pieces in total, all measuring 13 1/2″ x 11 1/2″.
SEW PILLOW BACK PIECES - STEP ONE
- Fold and press a 1/4″ seam on one of the 13 1/2″ sides of each pillow back pieces.
- Then fold and press the hem again about 1 inch and sew close to the edge.
SEW PILLOW BACK PIECES - STEP TWO
- You will complete this step on both panels, but only on one 13 1/2″ side.
- The completed hem will look like this.
CREATING BUTTONHOLE - STEP ONE
- Use an Automatic Buttonhole Foot (shop here if you need one) to create a buttonhole in one of the fabric pieces on the hem.
- Make sure to center the buttonhole in the middle of the hem before sewing.
- Use a seam ripper to finish the buttonhole.
- For a quick video tutorial on how to use a sliding/automatic buttonhole foot on your sewing machine, click here.
- For a quick video tutorial on how to sew a button with a button foot, click here.
CREATING BUTTONHOLE - STEP TWO
- Your finished buttonhole will look like this.
ATTACHING THE BUTTON
- Make sure to align existing buttonhole with the other piece of fabric piece to make sure the placement of the button is correct before sewing.
- Use a Button Sewing Foot (shop here if you need one) to sew on the button of your choice.
SEWING PILLOW FRONT TO BACK - STEP ONE
- Lay the pillow backing pieces face down on the Serenity panel (right sides together).
- Overlap the hemmed edges with the button piece on top (unbuttoned).
- Pin fabric together along the edges to prepare for sewing the hem.
SEWING PILLOW FRONT TO BACK - STEP TWO
- Sew along the seam of all four edges.
- (Optional) Serge all four sides for extra strength and to cut the extra fabric.
SERGING EDGES (OPTIONAL)
- After serging, the finished pillow back side will look like this.
- Flip pillow covers inside out.
- Insert travel pillows and fluff each one.
- The finished pillows will look like this:
Click here to download your own printable instructions (PDF): Serenity Prayer Pillow Panels Tutorial
We are so excited to see how your pillow project turns out! Make sure to tag Sewing Parts Online (ex: @SewingPartsOnline or #SewingPartsOnline) in a picture of your latest sewing project on social media or send us an email message with images to email@example.com.