Home Sewing Tutorials How to Sew Minky Fabric: 12 Must-Know Tips and Tricks

How to Sew Minky Fabric: 12 Must-Know Tips and Tricks

Minky makes for some really fun projects. It’s versatile and can be used to make blankets, home accessories, and even clothing. You’ve probably seen it used to make baby blankets and Lovies.

Minky is designed to resemble Mink’s Fur and has a very luxurious hand. It drapes beautifully and has a lovely sheen. These defining characteristics are why Minky is so difficult to sew. Thankfully, with the proper tools and a few tricks, sewing Minky can be an enjoyable experience.

Let’s get started.

1.) When buying Minky…buy more. It has a distinctive nap, so patterns must be cut according to the “nap layout”, meaning more fabric will be used.

2.) Pay close attention to the care instructions listed the bolt. Generally, you can machine wash in cold water and machine dry on low. However, some Minky is, “Dry Clean Only”.

3.) If you must iron, press the wrong side, set to low heat, and always use a pressing cloth.

4.) Avoid “bargain” Minky. It may look nice on the bolt, it quickly loses its silky texture and shine. Considering the amount of effort you’ll put into sewing Minky, you might as well invest in a quality brand.

5.) When cutting Minky, be prepared for a mess; it produces a lot of fuzz bunnies. Also, I recommend only cutting one layer at a time. If you intend to cut two layers at a time, place a sheet of tissue paper between the layers.

6.) Use a Walking Foot, a 90/14 Ballpoint Needle, All Purpose Polyester Thread, and a ton of long pins or Wonder Clips.

7.) For the best seam, increase your stitch length to 3.0 and decrease your stitch tension. You can use a straight stitch, a zig-zag stitch, or a stretch stitch.

8.) Hand-baste tricky seams. You’ll also have better results if you stay-stitch curves before sewing at the machine.

9.) If your seam looks “wavy”, try reducing your pressure gauge.

10.) Minky doesn’t fray, so you don’t have to finish the raw edges. However, raw edges do tend to “curl”. If the curl is bothering you, finish the edges with a zig-zag stitch, an overcast stitch, or even with a serger. If you use a serger, you’ll have to deep clean your machine once your project is finished.

11.) Stabilize your closures and high-stress stress. For instance, if you’re adding buttons or zippers, use a light-weight stabilizer. Shoulder seams would need a strip of ribbon or rick-rack. Crotch areas should be reinforced with a second seam.

12.) When embroidering Minky, use a sticky-back stabilizer on the bottom so as to “float” the Minky instead of hooping it. Always use a clear, water-soluble stabilizer on top.

If you have any comments or questions, be sure to leave them in the comment section below. Happy Sewing!

Mandy October 18, 2018 - 12:29 pm

Any recommendations on sewing luxe on luxe minky?? I have a brother sewing machine and think it should handle well but don’t want to over work my sewing machine and luxe is expensive so I definitely want to do all the necessary steps to get good results! TIA

CustomerService October 24, 2018 - 3:48 pm

I would suggest reading this article for tips on sewing Luxe Minky. You can view that article below:

I hope this helps!

T.Goff May 9, 2018 - 9:54 pm

When sewing a strip style minky blanket my Minky seems to shrink and curve slightly after each row. I’m using a walking foot, pinning like crazy, switching starting end with each row, and still it gets shorter ever additional row. Any tips to correct this? Thanks in advance!

CustomerService May 11, 2018 - 4:20 pm

Hello! I am not sure what could be causing the problem. If you are using the Walking Foot, it should not be stretching that much. I would suggest reading this article on 15 tips for sewing with Minky Fabric. You can view that article below:

Hopefully this helps!

Liane powers April 5, 2018 - 6:16 pm

I made a rag Minky quilt with flannel. Does it ever stop shedding?

Liane powers April 5, 2018 - 6:14 pm

Does the Minky ever stop shedding?

CustomerService April 26, 2018 - 11:07 am

The shedding becomes less, but it never stops completely–but it is “oh so soft!”

Karen Hunter March 14, 2018 - 7:51 pm

I struggle getting it to cut straight. It takes hours and it’s still wonky. Help?!?

CustomerService April 26, 2018 - 12:02 pm

If your ruler does not have grips on it, I definitely recommend trying these! They are a life- well, at least, time- saver! https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/true-grips.aspx

Heidi McMullin November 28, 2017 - 11:09 am

I sewed my minky on using the stitch in the ditch method, when I turned it over I had some stretching in the finished corner…what advice do you have for me? Should I just leave it and see what vet the wave or should I try to unpick?

Sarah November 28, 2017 - 11:26 am

Hi! What foot are you using?

Anne March 7, 2017 - 10:49 am

Thank you!

Kayte March 4, 2017 - 5:25 pm

Hi Sarah, Do you have any tips on places to buy minky fabric? I checked at JoAnn locally but they are limited in selection and the options seem a little dated. I am hoping for something a little more modern without a big price tag. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks! 🙂

Sarah March 6, 2017 - 1:04 pm

Hi, Kayte! Have you tried Fabric.com?

Jane December 27, 2016 - 3:19 pm

Great help

Dawn Marie December 8, 2016 - 9:58 pm

Very helpful. I do use this material for baby quilts!!

Donna Clark December 6, 2016 - 12:32 pm

Great tute! Have you ever used it as quilt backing and quilted it? I would assume a walking foot and simple quilting, but I wonder how to baste the layers …spray adhesive? Thanks much!

Sarah December 7, 2016 - 4:33 pm

Hi Donna! Yup, I sure have! You have to use a walking foot and spray adhesive. If you’re going to be working on a large quilt, I recommend also using some curved basting pins. It’s a little harder than regular old cotton backing, but it’s worth it!

Donna Clark December 8, 2016 - 2:39 am

Thanks so much Sarah! CAnt wait to make a cozy quilt!

Barbara R Showerman December 5, 2016 - 4:48 pm

Always, always, ALWAYS enjoy Sarah’s videos!!! Thanks ever so…