Home Sewing Tutorials Understanding Bobbins: What Every Sewist Should Know

Understanding Bobbins: What Every Sewist Should Know

Did you know there are over 60 different bobbin styles available? Some are dramatically different, while others are so similar it’s difficult to see any difference at all. Let’s take a closer look.

Printer-Friendly Version

About 95% of household sewing machines use the following 3 bobbins…

The Class 15 (A Style) Bobbin:

The Class 15 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.3 mm and has a width of approximately 11.7 mm. This bobbin has two flat sides and is available in both plastic and metal.

The L Style Bobbin:

The L Style is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.3 mm and has a width of approximately 8.9 mm. This bobbin has two flat sides and is available in aluminum, plastic, and as a Magna-glide core.

It’s worth noting that the L Style bobbins are the same diameter as the Class 15 bobbins. As such, you can use L Style bobbins in a sewing machine that uses Class 15 bobbins. However, a Class 15 bobbin is too wide to fit in a machine that uses L Style bobbins.

The M Style Bobbin:

The M Style is about the size of an American quarter. Its diameter measures approximately 24.9 mm and has a width of approximately 10.7 mm. This bobbin has two flat sides and is available in metal, and as a Magna-glide core.

Below are more bobbins you may have come across while sewing, as well as a few that are just cool to know. We’ll call these our “honorable mentions”…

The Singer 163131 Bobbin:

The Singer 163131 is about the size of an American quarter. Its diameter measures approximately 27.3 mm and has a width of approximately 6.7 mm. This bobbin is only available in plastic.

This bobbin was featured in the old Singer Touch and Sews. The 3 unique lines indicate thread yardage. The inner circle equals 2 yards, the middle circle equals 10 yards, and the outer circle equals 20 yards (a full bobbin). The coolest feature is that it can be disassembled to quickly remove any unwanted thread.

The Singer 8228 Bobbin:

The Singer 8228 is probably my favorite bobbin because it looks so cool. Its diameter measures approximately 9 mm and has a width of approximately 33.4 mm. This bobbin is only available in metal.

This bobbin is used in the old Singer treadle machines and fits inside a bullet-shaped bobbin case. Pretty neat!

The Class 15J Bobbin:

The Class 15J is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.4 mm and has a width of approximately 11.3 mm. This bobbin is only available in  plastic.

This bobbin looks very similar to the Class 15 bobbin, however, there is a slight curve to the sides. Even though the curve is barely visible, it’s still significant enough to affect performance.  As such, a Class 15J should not be used in a Class 15 machine.

The Class 66 Bobbin:

The Class 66 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.5 mm and has a width of approximately 10.9 mm. This bobbin is available in metal and plastic.

This bobbin is significantly curved on the sides and fits the black Apollo bobbin cases. Again, although this bobbin appears to be the same size as the Class 15 bobbins, it should not be used in a Class 15 machine.

The Bernina 0115367000 Bobbin:

The Bernina 0115367000 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.5 mm and has a width of approximately 10.6 mm. This bobbin is only available in metal.

This bobbin is common in the older Bernina machines and has a distinctive cross-hatch pattern etched into the barrel. Although this is the most common Bernina bobbin, there are many other Bernina bobbin styles available.

The Juki 270010 Bobbin:

The Juki 270010 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.8 mm and has a width of approximately 8.7 mm. This bobbin is only available in metal.

These are the most commonly used Juki bobbins and look very similar to the L Style bobbins, however, you should not use  L Style bobbins in place of the Juki 270010.

The Viking Specific 4125615-45 Bobbin:

The Viking Specific 4125615-45 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.9 mm and has a width of approximately 10.4 mm. This bobbin is available in plastic only.

This a Husqvarna Viking exclusive bobbin that fits most newer machines. It specifically fits all Husqvarna Viking machines in groups 5, 6, and 7.

Now that you know more about the different bobbin styles, let’s learn about general bobbin composition and care…

Metal Bobbins:

Metal bobbins are composed of treated steel. These are the most common bobbins available and are often preferred over plastic and aluminum.

Plastic Bobbins:

Plastic bobbins are becoming more popular, as they are durable and inexpensive. Despite popular belief, plastic bobbins generally perform just as well as metal bobbins.

Aluminum Bobbins:

Due to the lighter weight of aluminum, these bobbins spin faster than metal and plastic bobbins, hence the term, “Quick Wind”. Many believe aluminum bobbins perform better than metal and plastic bobbins, however, it’s worth noting that aluminum bobbins are more easily scratched and damaged.

Fil-Tec Magna-Glide Cores:

Fil-Tec’s Magna-glide pre-wound bobbins are essentially just a bobbin barrel wound with thread. The magnetic core prevents backlash, creating consistent stitches without needing a backlash spring. Once empty, the core can be disposed or recycled.

Bobbin and Bobbin Case Care:

Most importantly, you must take good care of both your bobbin and your bobbin case. The condition of your bobbin and your bobbin case dramatically affects your stitch formation. It’s important to intermittently inspect both your bobbin and your bobbin case to ensure no scratches or burrs have developed. Even the slightest nick will cause skipped stitches and thread nests. We recommend gently gliding your finger along all sides of your bobbin and bobbin case to check for inconsistencies. If you do discover a small scratch or burr, you should replace you bobbin immediately. A small scratch on your bobbin case can usually be gently buffed out with fine sandpaper. However, serious damage requires buying a whole new bobbin case.

Also, it’s best practice to use the same bobbin type as the bobbin that came with your machine. For instance, if your machine came with a plastic bobbin, you’ll have the best performance with plastic bobbins, even if metal ones are available.

If you’re not sure which bobbin your machine uses, give us a call or email us. We’re happy to help!

KJ Lester March 21, 2021 - 10:17 am

Hi— I have a older Bernina 217-n industrial machine and a huge pile of bobbins for it. I’m hoping to add a Juki DDL-8700 to my shop. Can I use the same bobbins in both machines?
Thanks

CustomerService March 23, 2021 - 3:56 pm

Hello, according to my records the Bernina 217 and the Juki DDL-8700 bobbins are not interchangeable.
I have included links below to bobbins for each machine:

Bernina 217 Bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-package-of-10-singer-45785.aspx
Juki DDL-8700 Bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbin-juki-229-32909-10pk.aspx

Hope this information helps!

Beginner Sewing Supplies – what do you really need? – Threadistry February 17, 2021 - 8:28 pm

[…] Most sewing machines come with 3-4 bobbins. That’s plenty to get you started, so no need to buy more (until your thread collection grows!). If you didn’t get any with your machine, double-check the manual to buy the right type. The come in slightly different sizes and shapes, and can be made of plastic or metal. See more about bobbins here. […]

Keturah February 9, 2021 - 9:00 pm

I have a Singer Stylist Zig-zag Model 457 that was handed down with 1 plastic bobbin. What type of bobbin do you think it is and can I buy more?
Thanks!

CustomerService February 10, 2021 - 8:25 am

I have attached a link that will provide the information of the bobbin we have noted for your machine:

karen Smith November 22, 2020 - 8:10 pm

Found your site to be selective in answering questions! Unprofessional to post a question, and ignore by not posting an answer.

CustomerService November 23, 2020 - 12:00 pm

Hi Karen. We do our best to respond to all of the comments on our blog posts, but unfortunately, sometimes they do get overlooked. Phone calls and emails are prioritized and we have been receiving a very high volume of both since COVID-19 began. For an immediate response to any question, we recommend contacting our Customer Service Department at 888-824-1192.

Christine Grayson November 9, 2020 - 10:04 pm

Thank you for this information. I have a project Runway Brother that uses an SA 156 bobbin and I just acquired a Singer that uses class 15 bobbins. I compared the two bobbins and they appear IDENTICAL. Are they? Can I use my SA 156 bobbins in my singer?

CustomerService November 10, 2020 - 1:15 pm

Hi Christine. SA156 is just an alternate part number for the Class 15 bobbins. You should be able to use those bobbins with both machines. Happy sewing!

Bertie November 1, 2020 - 7:58 pm

I have a Bernina Virtuosa 153. I have a bobbin case, but left home without any bobbins. I have no idea what size/number i need.
Cn you help?

CustomerService November 2, 2020 - 2:49 pm

Hi Bertie. The bobbins noted for the Bernina Virtuosa 153 can be viewed here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-bernina-10-pack-0115367000.aspx.

Lizz October 20, 2020 - 3:11 am

Hi, Thanks for the very informative video and information. I recently purchased a BERNETTE 430 (not Bernina) and have been getting conflicting information of the bobbin for this machine. There is currently a plastic bobbin in there and i wanted to purchase additional bobbins but your webstore recommends both plastic and metal bobbins for this machine. I rang couple of Bernina agents and one said ONLY plastic, and the other said ONLY metal. Your webstore for the BERNETTE 430 is selling both plastic and metal bobbins for this machine, yet i read that plastic and metal bobbins are not interchangeable.
Appreciate your advice. Many thanks

Kay Gibbs September 4, 2020 - 12:25 pm

Hi, thank you for all your research and information. I recently bought Japanese (1950-60s) HA-1 machines, with various name labels. None of the vintage machines had a manual but most are akin to Singer 15s, singer 99s models. How can I find out the correct bobbins to buy for these type of machines? Where is there a comprehensive website to identify all the known bobbins? Thanks for all ya”ll do on your site!

J September 18, 2020 - 7:56 am

Class 15 bobbin is what you need. I have 20 of these great Japanese machines from the 1950’s and they all take a 15 bobbin.

alice August 29, 2020 - 12:20 pm

I have a Singer 7442. Can you tell me what class bobbin I should use?

Mary E. August 14, 2020 - 8:08 pm

Very useful video! Wonderful follow-up photos with labels for reference. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Stacey Christopher July 25, 2020 - 5:27 pm

My previous machine is a Singer that takes Class 15J. My newer machine is a Husqvarna that takes Class 15, but I was told is different than the Singer Class 15 or 15J. What is the most distinguishable difference between the Singer Class 15J and the Husqvarna Class 15? I’m afraid that at some point over the past few months, I might have mixed some up. Before I sew anything else, I would like to get them all separated. I was just measuring them with a set of calipers. The Singers seem to measure in the low 11s, and the Husqvarnas in the 11.5 to 11.6 range. I also noticed that the Singers have holes on the same side, top and bottom of each other, whereas the Husqvarnas have the holes diagonally. At least that was how I was separating them. But then I came across one that measures the size of a Husqvarna but holes like a Singer???? I know that the 15J is slightly sloped, but it is really hard for me to see that distinction–because the Class 15 Husqvarna looks a little sloped as well. Does anyone have any advice??? Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Betty Chan July 19, 2020 - 6:09 am

I have a Baby lock Ellure ESL. What type of bobbin should I order? I thought it is either SA155 or class L?

Joanne Ukno June 27, 2020 - 7:58 pm

I have a Kenmore sewing machine, model 385.1584180. Can you please tell me what bobbin should I be using with this machine? Thank you!

CustomerService January 8, 2021 - 1:01 pm

Hello, Joanne. I apologize for the delay. Your machine uses a Class 15 bobbin!

Dee May 20, 2020 - 6:29 am

I have a singer 1120 and.camt remeber what bobbin it came with…it has a metal bobbin case.

CustomerService January 21, 2021 - 10:23 am

Hello, Dee. I apologize for the delay. The Singer 1120 uses a class 15 metal bobbin. A good part number to use is 2518-A.

kathy schettner May 9, 2020 - 5:15 pm

What is the best bobbin for my Singer sewing machine 3232

CustomerService January 8, 2021 - 1:31 pm

Hello, Kathy. Sorry for the delay. A Singer 3232 uses a class 15 bobbin!

Barb April 8, 2020 - 2:25 pm

Very clear article, thanks!
I have a Janome C30, what type of bobbin should I use?

CustomerService January 8, 2021 - 1:31 pm

Hello, Barb. I apologize for the delay. Were you able to locate the bobbins for your machine?

Vanessa February 22, 2020 - 8:26 pm

Hi – what a great article & video. I had a Janome DC5100 and just purchased a Juki dx-2000qvp. Both take plastic bobbins, but I don’t know if they’re interchangeable? Can you advise?

CustomerService February 27, 2020 - 8:18 am

Although both bobbins are plastic, they do not interchange. Your Janome DC5100 takes a Class 15 bobbin. Additional bobbins for this machine can be found via the link:

Your Juki DX-2000QVP takes an uncommon bobbin. They can be found via this link: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-5pk-juki-001141000000.aspx

Lynne O'Rourke February 15, 2020 - 10:54 am

I have a Singer 1304 and it came with plastic bobbins. I found a bunch of metal bobbins in my old sewing basket. Can they be used in this machine?

CustomerService February 27, 2020 - 10:50 am

The Singer 1304 takes a class 15 bobbins. These can come in either plastic or metal.

RClark May 18, 2020 - 7:02 pm

I recently picked up an 80s vintage Husqvarna Viking 6690. Since it’s an older machine, does it take the Viking-specific bobbin or a more common one?

CustomerService January 21, 2021 - 10:46 am

Hello! I apologize for the delay. The Husqvarna Viking 6690 uses a machine-specific Viking bobbin. There is a plastic, generic bobbin option to choose from, which is part number 4114401.
There is also a genuine, plastic bobbin option, which is part number 4120612-45.
Lastly, there is a generic, metal bobbin with the part number 4011770.
I hope this information helps.

Sea January 24, 2020 - 11:59 am

My Pfaff 7570 bobbin measures 22mm x 8.5mm. What style of bobbin is that?

CustomerService January 30, 2020 - 8:55 am

Hello Sea!

Your bobbin is considered an “uncommon” bobbin. You can view/purchase bobbins for your machine via the link: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-pfaff-10-pack-9033p.aspx
Have a great day.

Linda Lopiccola December 4, 2019 - 7:08 pm

I have an old machine and cannot find bobbins for it. Can you help? It’s a National Rotary. It does not tell me the size of the bobbin. It does tell me I should look for needles for “B Eldredge Rotary N.S.” I don’t know if that helps. The bobbins are flat, metal, ~7/8″ across and 3/8″ wide.

CustomerService December 5, 2019 - 7:39 am

Hello Linda!

Thank you for contacting us. I have been unable to pull up an option noted for your machine. I suggest checking a vintage shop or a used parts store. We appreciate you checking with us.

Jerry Cooper November 27, 2019 - 12:15 pm

I have a little angst over the distinction (or lack thereof) between bobbin “classes” and bobbin “styles.” There are very subtle differences between some bobbin classes which you could really only see if you measured the various bobbins with a micrometer or digital slide rule. (Some sites and guides will even – incorrectly – tell you that two different classes are the same diameter when in fact they are different by several 100ths of an inch.) “Class” seems to refer to similarly subtle differences between bobbins within the same style group. For example, Singer domestic machines generally use Class 15 bobbins – which are apparently the same as “Style A” bobbins – but then Singer also uses several sub-classes, like the Class 15J. And, then there’s the Class 66. . . I’d love to see some kind of guide that presents a comprehensive list of *all* the different classes and styles.

Just a minor technical note on your presentation here: In this guide you draw a distinction between “metal” bobbins and aluminum bobbins, as though aluminum is some sort of magical other material, neither metal nor plastic. But, aluminum IS a metal. Using the term “metal” to distinguish steel from aluminum is like saying that some jeans are made of cotton cloth and others are made of denim. Denim IS a cotton cloth just as aluminum is a metal. You can use the term “metal” to distinguish metal bobbins from plastic bobbins but not steel bobbins from aluminum ones. If you want to distinguish aluminum bobbins from other metal bobbins, you should refer to the non-aluminum metal bobbins as steel bobbins. Or whatever metal they’re made of – although I suspect all metal bobbins are either steel or aluminum.

CustomerService November 27, 2019 - 1:39 pm

Hello Jerry!

Your comments are appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

MG May 14, 2020 - 11:44 am

Hello,
When comparing a class 15 to an L there is a asterisk note that uses the word tall instead of width, as the why the bobbins are not interchangeable. This is confusing since there is a picture with arrows describing the height, synonymous with tall, which is the diameter of the bobbin.
Further down in the text it is correctly stated as width and not tall.
Also I agree with Jerry, the word STEEL should be used throughout the page instead of METAL especially since some bobbins are also available in ALUMINUM, easy to tell the difference in metals by color, weight and I am guessing no steel bobbins are made with any high grades of non-magnetic stainless steel so a steel bobbin would be attracted to a magnet where as an aluminum bobbin would not be attracted to a magnet. The changes would prevent confusing your visitors and polish an otherwise informative page.

Annie November 26, 2019 - 11:01 pm

Hello, I appreciated your video. The information is relevant and helpful. I have a Singer 329K Style-Mate. I want a few more bobbins for this sewing machine. Are you able to help me with the type of bobbin to purchase? Thanks for sharing your wealth of information. Looking forward to your response.

CustomerService November 27, 2019 - 12:16 pm

Hello Annie!

The Singer 329K takes a Class 66 bobbin. They can be ordered via the link: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-66-singer-172222-10pk.aspx
Have a great day.

Roger Kifer September 22, 2019 - 9:51 pm

I have a Kenmore 158.17851. It is a top loading machine. It has a metal bobbin in it but its my understanding all top loading machines shouls use plastic bobbins. Is this correct. It sews okay with the metal bobbin but does have some top stitch looping at times.

CustomerService September 27, 2019 - 8:49 am

Hello Roger!

According to the parts list, the following metal bobbins are listed:

I hope this helps.

Brenda Heitz September 15, 2019 - 8:59 pm

Since I just bought another (and different brand than what I have) I have watched many videos online regarding bobbin types. The one sight with a printed list never talks about the 15J. This video gave me the most information. I thank you very much! Speaker was very clear and concise with the information.

CustomerService September 27, 2019 - 8:29 am

We are glad you found it helpful!

Robin Hunter August 13, 2019 - 10:27 am

I have two machimes that I am struggling with when it comes to figuring out the bobbin sizes. One is a Singer 191B and the second obe is an Omega 7100. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Belinda June 27, 2019 - 10:14 pm

I have a JcPenney 7057 Stretch sewing machine. It is from approx 1990. My manual states that it is a clear plastic bobbin… but it does not say what type. I would love to be able to purchase more bobbins. I have one… lol Thank you!

CustomerService July 2, 2019 - 11:13 am

Hello Belinda! I, unfortunately, do not have a parts list of your machine. Can you take a picture of your one bobbin next to a nickel (for reference) and I can look into this for you? We can be emailed at info@sewingpartsonline.com.

Hendrika March 28, 2019 - 9:07 pm

Hi, I have a Husqvarna sewing machine Sweden model 32 40. A very good sewing machine, the only problem are the plastic bobbins. they always snap when I try to fill them. Are there metal bobbins available for this machine?

CustomerService January 8, 2021 - 2:23 pm

Hello, Hendrika. I apologize for the delay. Unfortunately, Husqvarna has not informed us of metal bobbins for their machines.

Karina March 1, 2019 - 10:11 am

Hi I have and singer 974 I use class 66 bobbins but I wanted to know if a class 15 or 15j would also fit my machine.

Kathy January 25, 2019 - 1:02 am

Hello what bobbin can I use in my Viking epic. Id like to buy prefilled bobbins but not sure of the size. Thank you so much. Kathy stockton

CustomerService January 31, 2019 - 11:20 am

Hello Kathy! I am sorry for the inconvenience, but the bobbins for your machine have been discontinued. I suggest using the part number (920434096) to check a used parts store such as eBay, or trying to contact the manufacturer which is Viking. Their number is 1-800-446-2333. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

BDCrafty April 28, 2019 - 6:53 am

Kathy,
Viking should be coming out with prewound bobbins for the Epic in the next few months!

Tru January 18, 2019 - 1:41 pm

Hello, if you are still answering bobbin questions, I jus purchased a used Janine 4618LE and I downloaded the manual from online but it doesn’t show bobbin type, number or style. Thank you so much for your time.

CustomerService January 18, 2019 - 4:50 pm

I am showing that your machine takes the class 15 type bobbins. They can be purchased via the link below:

I hope this helps!

Doe Keem January 5, 2019 - 3:10 pm

I have an old Kenmore convertible 158-1781 that I purchased 40 years ago from Sears. I am certain it came with metal bobbins, as I have used them for years . The last time I had it serviced they told me I should be using plastic bobbins since it has the horizontal bobbin case. Have I been doing this wrong for all these years ??? Plus do some of the metal class 15 bobbins have 7 holes and some have 9 holes. ?

CustomerService January 9, 2019 - 4:08 pm

Hi Doe! I am showing that your model takes the Class 15 bobbins. We do have a metal and plastic type that words with your machine. Both materials would work and it is a matter of preference what you would prefer. However, it is recommended that your bobbin is the same material as the bobbin case. Since your bobbin case is plastic, a plastic bobbin is suggested. A metal bobbin would still work. The bobbins on our site have 10 holes. I hope this helps!

Doe January 15, 2019 - 11:52 pm

Thanks so much! You have been most helpful!

Katie December 19, 2020 - 10:00 pm

Hi! I was just given my grandmothers old Brother Pacesetter Ps-1000 and I’m trying to find bobbins. The only thing the book tells me is 3/8 inch 9.4 size. I’ve been told by other sewers that an L bobbin will fit, but I don’t want to buy a bunch and be wrong. What is the best bobbin type to fit the manuals description? Thank you!

CustomerService December 20, 2020 - 11:09 am

Hello,

The best option we have and the only one noted for your machine is item number 136490-001.

George January 5, 2019 - 2:30 pm

have a model sixteen singer with the belt driven bobbin winder….the winder shaft is slotted but there is no bobbin retainer…so the shaft spins and the bobbin sits….is this the wrong size bobbin..(internal shaft hole diameter?) or is a iece missing from the winder shaft.??

CustomerService January 9, 2019 - 4:04 pm

Please email us at info@sewingpartsonline.com and we would be able to provide further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you!

Darlene November 28, 2018 - 9:04 pm

Hello,
I really wish the manufacturers could stamp on the bobbins what their number is.
I just purchased a Singer 4432, no where does it say what number the bobbin is. Here’s 3 bobbins, have fun sewing! Lol will you be able to help?
Thanks, Dar

CustomerService December 4, 2018 - 4:51 pm

I am showing that your machine takes the class 15 bobbins. You can view those bobbins for your machine via the link below:

Patrick May 31, 2019 - 2:53 pm

Hi, not to add to the to the confusion of Singers version of “Guess Your Best” but, I too ran into the 15/15J problem with my 4452 HD but fortunately I got it straightened out. I should say Ashley, one of the SPO Customer Service angels found the info from a repair parts manual for me and these machines call for the 15J (singer part number 416127601) Sewing Parts Online item number 085128. I recieved 4 of these with my machine but no mention of the class number.
It seems since Singer is unwilling to add any sort of identifying feature to tell them apart, the best thing I’ve found to do is stack one on top of another, as if you were going to wind 2 bobbins at once. Look at the joined surfaces and if they touch all the way across they are both 15. If however one or both only touch the other in the middle around the center hole then one or both are 15J. It should be easy to tell if one is flat and the other curved if you have a mixed pair between your fingers.
And 15J only come in plastic.
I really hope this helps someone else like it helped me and we can all thank Ashley!

sandra todd October 9, 2018 - 6:40 pm

Hi Sarah, I just purchased a Janome Skyline S7 – My book says to use J bobbins, but I can’t find those…is it the same as the 15J or will that not work?

CustomerService October 10, 2018 - 9:16 am

I am sorry for the confusion. I am showing that the Janome Skyline S7 takes the standard Class 15 bobbins which are also known as the “A Style”. You can view those bobbins via the link below:

I hope this helps!

Mary September 25, 2018 - 11:27 am

I am trying to find out what Bibbin to use in my Huskystar 224.

Carla Clarke August 30, 2018 - 3:04 pm

I was surprised to find not one mention of Kenmore machine bobbins. Class 15 is for Singer only and one of the most common bobbins on the Singer side. Kenmore machines for decades uses a different case and the two are not interchangeable. I own 3 Kenmore machines, a 1030 and a 1040 plus a newer small machines. I need a bobbin case or two for them.

CustomerService August 31, 2018 - 10:49 am

I apologize for the confusion. We would be happy to help you find the correct bobbin cases! Please email us at info@sewingpartsonline.com with the full model numbers of your Kenmore machines and we would be happy to help! We do look forward to hearing from you.

Jerry Cooper November 27, 2019 - 12:23 pm

This is where I have trouble with the bobbin guides which are out there. They aren’t really comprehensive when it comes to the different Styles and Classes of bobbins. Generally, “Class 15” is treated the same as “Style A” and so one would conclude that the two are interchangeable, which I believe they are. I don’t think it’s correct to say that Class 15 bobbins are used only in Singer machines. BUT, Singer has several proprietary versions of the Class 15 bobbin which do appear to work only in specific Singer machines and you never see those mentioned in bobbin guides except on the Singer-specific guides. So, you have to be careful that you are dealing with a “regular” Class 15/Style A bobbin. I believe a true Class 15 bobbin, not one of Singer’s variations like the Class 15J, IS the same as a Style A, which is what all Kenmore machines use (ALL Kenmore machines use Style A bobbins, to the best of my knowledge).

Margaret July 2, 2018 - 1:44 am

Greetings. I have a Singer treadle machine. From exploring on the internet I found that the bobbin comes in two lengths. What is the best way to measure the bobbin, and do you have recommendations for sites to by ? Thank you.

CustomerService July 10, 2018 - 3:54 pm

Hello Margaret! Unfortunately, we can only find the bobbins for the machine by either using a serial number or a model number. If you happen to have that information, we might be able to suggest a bobbin that we carry. Thank you!

Dena June 25, 2018 - 6:18 pm

Which bobbin should I use for
1- Judi 2010
2- Bernina 1260.

CustomerService June 27, 2018 - 12:37 pm

Hi Dena!

Is your Juki a TL-2010Q machine? If so, we have a generic option available via the link: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-universal-deep-groove-10pk-55623s.aspx?
As for the Bernina machine, we also have generic bobbins for that machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-bernina-10-pack-0115367000.aspx

I hope this helps!

Randy June 18, 2018 - 11:33 am

Sarah
My wife purchased a Nelco XL Model 5102a at a yard sale. It has the bobbin case but no bobbin. I have searched the internet and have seen many other Nelco models listed but not this particular model. Can you please tell me which bobbin this model takes?

CustomerService June 19, 2018 - 8:35 am

Hi Randy!
I do not have information coming up on your model; however, if you can email us a picture of your bobbin case, we can see if we can offer you any suggestions. Our email is info@sewingpartsonline.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Deborah June 11, 2018 - 2:49 pm

I have a new Bernina 590E sewing machine and would like to know what style bobbin I have. If I bought the m style bobbin would it fit in my machine. Thank You.

CustomerService June 15, 2018 - 10:17 am

Hello Deborah. I am sorry but we do not have any information on your specific model to see what type of bobbin it takes. I would suggest contacting Bernina directly. I am sorry I do not have more information.

Rolf May 8, 2018 - 2:41 pm

In your video you state that aluminum bobbins wind faster, this is not true. Because they are lighter they will up to speed maybe a milli-second faster but after that there are no advantages as far the RPM is concerned. This is so consequential that nobody in their right mind should worry about it 🙂

CustomerService May 8, 2018 - 2:56 pm

Thank you for your input. We appreciate it. Have a great day!

Barbara Corder January 29, 2018 - 5:21 pm

I have a Spiegel Model 60609 sewing machine. Do I have to order the bobbins from Spiegel or will one of these other bobbins work in my machine?

Sarah January 31, 2018 - 12:41 pm

Hi! Unfortunately, you would need to buy those bobbins directly from Spiegel.

Sarah Rogers January 18, 2018 - 7:56 pm

Hi Sarah, I notice that the bobbin in your video that you refer to as a class 15 has a “J” stamped on the shaft. I always thought this meant it was a class 15J?? Also, I recently upgraded from a Singer Quantum 9960 to a Janome HMC 9400. I thought all of my bobbins for the Singer were class 15 and that I needed to purchase class 15J for the Janome. Now I am trying to organize my bobbins and it looks like some of the Singer were indeed class 15J and 15. I recently purchased class 15J bobbins, but they look more like the bobbin you describe as a class 15…no curved side. Boy am I confused! They both seem to work equally well in the Janome. For such a simple plastic part, they are very confusing.

Sarah January 23, 2018 - 11:44 am

Hi, Sarah! That bobbin has a ‘J’ because it’s a Janome bobbin. Both your Singer Quantum 9960 and your Janome HMC 9400 use class 15 bobbins. I understand your frustration – it is very confusing!

Beccy February 26, 2018 - 5:22 am

I just purchased the Quantum 9960 (Jan 2018) and the specification sheet I printed out says class 15J bobbins, yet Singer’s website says class 15. Instructional videos I have watched on YouTube, also say 15J. Several blogs I have read also say 15J. Oh dear, so which one to use?

Sarah March 12, 2018 - 9:43 am

Hi! The information I have on your machine indicates these bobbins are the best to use: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx?

Christine M. Van Tassel February 19, 2019 - 5:11 pm

Great question! That’s what brought me here. I have machines that take all three of the common plastic bobbin types and keeping them straight is a nightmare. I have started to label them with a sharpie.

Marilyn January 17, 2018 - 2:56 pm

I have some older Singer machines model 9410 and 9110. I’m not sure what bobbins to use in the machines. Could you advise? I know Class 15 doesn’t work. Are they Class 15J or Class 66 or something else? Thank you!

Sarah January 23, 2018 - 11:36 am

Hi! Your Singer 9410 and 9110 use these Class 66 bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-66-singer-172222-10pk.aspx

Debbie January 14, 2018 - 7:31 pm

I have a Bernina Bernette Deco 340 Embroidery Machine. I am getting mixed recommendations on which bobbin to use, can you please help me? Also, just a comment, I have a 21 year old daughter that has gotten several machines over the years, so I have many bobbins in my drawer, and none of them are marked, so I don’t know which machine they go to!! Bobbins are very frustrating 🙂

Sarah January 17, 2018 - 10:45 am

Hi! Yes, it is very frustrating!
For your machine, these bobbins are best: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx
You can also use these prewound bobbins if you prefer: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-filled-white-l-clear-glide-poly-bobbin-tube-10pk-ft13174.aspx

tim January 5, 2018 - 9:37 pm

you claim I could copy and print the infographic. I have been unable to locate a link to do so or successfully convert the jpg image into 8.5″ x 11″ format.
can you send a printable copy?

Sarah January 17, 2018 - 10:34 am

Hi, Tim! I’m not sure why it’s not working – I will have our tech team look into it. Thank you!

Deonte Hemphill June 4, 2018 - 11:16 am

Sarah my name is Deonte and my grandma gotme a sears Lock stitch sewing machine and it sews messy on bottem threads and It uses a bobbin like the one here singer 8228 but its smaller and its plastic please help me out

CustomerService June 6, 2018 - 2:17 pm

You mentioned that you are having issues with your thread messing or bunching. There are a couple of easy steps you can do that frequently resolve the issue.

Please check the following:
Go in the order they are listed.

Is the tension too loose? A good starting point is 4- 4 1/2.

Did you thread the machine with the presser foot up? (This ensures the thread is between the tension discs.)

If you have tried all of these suggestions and your problem is still not resolved, please email us at info@sewingpartsonline.com. We will be happy to see if there is anything else we can do to further assist you. I hope this helps!

Melissa Righetti July 4, 2018 - 6:56 pm

Another reason the machine will sew in this manner is using the wrong needle for the thickness of the fabric. Heavy cottons or denim must be sewn with a heavy gauge needle (14).

Laurie Miles January 5, 2018 - 2:49 pm

You said a Class 15J should not be used in a Class 15 machine, but can a Class 15 work in a Class 15J machine without any issues?
Thanks!

Sarah January 17, 2018 - 10:34 am

Hi, Laurie! Nope, you will experience issues both ways.

Tammy Long December 29, 2017 - 7:46 am

My husband picked up a Janome memory craft 7000 at an estate/yard sale…I was not happy as I am or was a die hard Singer girl. Now that I found out its also an embroidery machine and was listed for $2500 on CraigsList!!! I promised him I would NEVER complain about how heavy it is. However, before I go messing things up, I must clarify I cant figure out or find simple info on which to use Plastic or Metal bobbins. I do know Class 15 is the style or type.

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 2:19 pm

That’s hilarious! He did well! For your Janome 7000, use these Class 15 plastic bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-janome-kenmore-elna-102261103.aspx

J Rehling December 28, 2017 - 6:32 pm

Thank you for the information. Are bobbins marked in any way so one can tell what size they are. I was given some older metal bobbins and don’t know if they will work on my machine.

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 2:18 pm

Unfortunately, they are not marked. If not immediately obvious by looking at the bobbin, you have the measure it. If you know what machine the bobbins used to fit, we can look up the bobbin style by looks at the old machine’s part list.

Mike Brown December 24, 2017 - 1:08 pm

Can you tell me which bobbin I need fora singer 20-13 machine? I’m thinking it’s an L or A bobbin, we need some prewound bobbins. Thanks Mike Brown

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 1:37 pm

Hi! I would need to see a picture of your machine. Can you please send a picture to info@sewingpartsonline.com?

Ree Stuart December 24, 2017 - 12:42 am

I just got a singer sewing machine for christmas. It takes plastic bobins. All I have is lots of metal ones from my old machine. Don’t really know what to do.

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 1:04 pm

Hi! This is a common issue. Generally, we recommend using the same type of bobbin that came with your machine. May I have the make and model number of your old machine and the model number of your new Singer?

Wanda December 18, 2017 - 9:46 am

I have a Husqvarna Viking Epic and would like to purchase prewound monopoly bobbins. They sell class 15a prefilled bobbins. Will this work in the Epic machine? If not, is there a size of prefilled bobbins that will work?

Sarah December 19, 2017 - 1:31 pm

Hi, Wanda! Unfortunately, those bobbins are only available from Husqvarna Viking directly.

Nicole Bishop December 5, 2017 - 7:14 pm

So can you use a regular class 15 in a seeing machine that calls for SA156?

Sarah December 6, 2017 - 4:21 pm

Hi, Nicole! The SA156 is a class 15 bobbin, so it can be used.

elena December 3, 2017 - 2:37 am

Hello, Can I use SA156 bobbins that I purchased for my old Brother ES2000 machine for my new Singer 4423 that according to the manual uses Class 15 bobbins?
Thank you in adcance, Elena.

Sarah December 4, 2017 - 10:20 am

Hi! Yup, they should work in both.

Carol E, Thomas October 3, 2017 - 9:14 am

I have a Baby Lock Rachel, could you tell me if this takes a special bobbin, they say the part code # is X52800-120. Please tell me what size bobbin in need to buy. Thank you for your help.

Sarah October 4, 2017 - 10:34 am

Hi, Carol! Your Baby Lock Rachel uses these bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-babylock-brother-x52800150.aspx

Marcy Taitz September 16, 2017 - 6:49 pm

Does the singer quantum stylist 9960 use class 15 or 15j bobbins? There is ongoing disagreement on this so I’d like your opinion. Thanks!

Sarah September 18, 2017 - 12:07 pm

Hi! That machine uses the class 15 bobbins here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx

Vicky Peacock September 15, 2017 - 7:40 pm

Please discontinue sending emails

Sarah September 18, 2017 - 12:04 pm

Hi, Vicky! We’re sad to see you unsubscribe. You can remove yourself from our newsletter by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of our emails.

Linda September 11, 2017 - 12:10 pm

Which bobbin for Kenmore 17881 machine? the owner’s manual does not specify type. Thanks!

Ellen September 11, 2017 - 1:27 pm

Hi, Linda! Your Kenmore uses a standard class 15 bobbin. Here is a link to the bobbins for your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-metal-10-pack.aspx

Linda September 11, 2017 - 9:17 pm

Thank you!

roze September 10, 2017 - 12:46 pm

hi i have kenmore 385.19110 what bobbin should i use? thank you!

Ellen September 11, 2017 - 1:19 pm

Hi, Roze. Here is a link to the class 15 bobbins for your Kenmore: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-janome-kenmore-elna-102261103.aspx

George June 4, 2017 - 6:25 pm

Thanks. Thought I had a Singer 15. Nothing fit. Your video put me on the right track to find out that it’s a model 115. When you get the right parts everything just works better. Life is funny that way. Restoring Great Grannies machine. Thanks a million!!

Sarah June 5, 2017 - 9:30 am

Our pleasure! I’m sure Great Granny will be so happy to have her machine restored!

Janet Santiago April 10, 2017 - 9:51 am

I restore and use lots of vintage machines. Thanks for the info. Don’t forget the little Featherweight and Singer 301 bobbins which are unique to those machines.

mobarak April 7, 2017 - 6:38 pm

plz i have Singer finesse 827 …what bobbin have i to use?