Home Sewing Tutorials Understanding Bobbins: What Every Sewist Should Know

Understanding Bobbins: What Every Sewist Should Know

Did you know there are over 60 different bobbin styles available? Some are dramatically different, while others are so similar it’s difficult to see any difference at all. Let’s take a closer look.

Printer-Friendly Version

About 95% of household sewing machines use the following 3 bobbins…

The Class 15 (A Style) Bobbin:

The Class 15 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.3 mm and has a width of approximately 11.7 mm. This bobbin has two flat sides and is available in both plastic and metal.

The L Style Bobbin:

The L Style is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.3 mm and has a width of approximately 8.9 mm. This bobbin has two flat sides and is available in aluminum, plastic, and as a Magna-glide core.

It’s worth noting that the L Style bobbins are the same diameter as the Class 15 bobbins. As such, you can use L Style bobbins in a sewing machine that uses Class 15 bobbins. However, a Class 15 bobbin is too wide to fit in a machine that uses L Style bobbins.

The M Style Bobbin:

The M Style is about the size of an American quarter. Its diameter measures approximately 24.9 mm and has a width of approximately 10.7 mm. This bobbin has two flat sides and is available in metal, and as a Magna-glide core.

Below are more bobbins you may have come across while sewing, as well as a few that are just cool to know. We’ll call these our “honorable mentions”…

The Singer 163131 Bobbin:

The Singer 163131 is about the size of an American quarter. Its diameter measures approximately 27.3 mm and has a width of approximately 6.7 mm. This bobbin is only available in plastic.

This bobbin was featured in the old Singer Touch and Sews. The 3 unique lines indicate thread yardage. The inner circle equals 2 yards, the middle circle equals 10 yards, and the outer circle equals 20 yards (a full bobbin). The coolest feature is that it can be disassembled to quickly remove any unwanted thread.

The Singer 8228 Bobbin:

The Singer 8228 is probably my favorite bobbin because it looks so cool. Its diameter measures approximately 9 mm and has a width of approximately 33.4 mm. This bobbin is only available in metal.

This bobbin is used in the old Singer treadle machines and fits inside a bullet-shaped bobbin case. Pretty neat!

The Class 15J Bobbin:

The Class 15J is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.4 mm and has a width of approximately 11.3 mm. This bobbin is only available in  plastic.

This bobbin looks very similar to the Class 15 bobbin, however, there is a slight curve to the sides. Even though the curve is barely visible, it’s still significant enough to affect performance.  As such, a Class 15J should not be used in a Class 15 machine.

The Class 66 Bobbin:

The Class 66 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.5 mm and has a width of approximately 10.9 mm. This bobbin is available in metal and plastic.

This bobbin is significantly curved on the sides and fits the black Apollo bobbin cases. Again, although this bobbin appears to be the same size as the Class 15 bobbins, it should not be used in a Class 15 machine.

The Bernina 0115367000 Bobbin:

The Bernina 0115367000 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.5 mm and has a width of approximately 10.6 mm. This bobbin is only available in metal.

This bobbin is common in the older Bernina machines and has a distinctive cross-hatch pattern etched into the barrel. Although this is the most common Bernina bobbin, there are many other Bernina bobbin styles available.

The Juki 270010 Bobbin:

The Juki 270010 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.8 mm and has a width of approximately 8.7 mm. This bobbin is only available in metal.

These are the most commonly used Juki bobbins and look very similar to the L Style bobbins, however, you should not use  L Style bobbins in place of the Juki 270010.

The Viking Specific 4125615-45 Bobbin:

The Viking Specific 4125615-45 is about the size of an American nickel. Its diameter measures approximately 20.9 mm and has a width of approximately 10.4 mm. This bobbin is available in plastic only.

This a Husqvarna Viking exclusive bobbin that fits most newer machines. It specifically fits all Husqvarna Viking machines in groups 5, 6, and 7.

Now that you know more about the different bobbin styles, let’s learn about general bobbin composition and care…

Metal Bobbins:

Metal bobbins are composed of treated steel. These are the most common bobbins available and are often preferred over plastic and aluminum.

Plastic Bobbins:

Plastic bobbins are becoming more popular, as they are durable and inexpensive. Despite popular belief, plastic bobbins generally perform just as well as metal bobbins.

Aluminum Bobbins:

Due to the lighter weight of aluminum, these bobbins spin faster than metal and plastic bobbins, hence the term, “Quick Wind”. Many believe aluminum bobbins perform better than metal and plastic bobbins, however, it’s worth noting that aluminum bobbins are more easily scratched and damaged.

Fil-Tec Magna-Glide Cores:

Fil-Tec’s Magna-glide pre-wound bobbins are essentially just a bobbin barrel wound with thread. The magnetic core prevents backlash, creating consistent stitches without needing a backlash spring. Once empty, the core can be disposed or recycled.

Bobbin and Bobbin Case Care:

Most importantly, you must take good care of both your bobbin and your bobbin case. The condition of your bobbin and your bobbin case dramatically affects your stitch formation. It’s important to intermittently inspect both your bobbin and your bobbin case to ensure no scratches or burrs have developed. Even the slightest nick will cause skipped stitches and thread nests. We recommend gently gliding your finger along all sides of your bobbin and bobbin case to check for inconsistencies. If you do discover a small scratch or burr, you should replace you bobbin immediately. A small scratch on your bobbin case can usually be gently buffed out with fine sandpaper. However, serious damage requires buying a whole new bobbin case.

Also, it’s best practice to use the same bobbin type as the bobbin that came with your machine. For instance, if your machine came with a plastic bobbin, you’ll have the best performance with plastic bobbins, even if metal ones are available.

If you’re not sure which bobbin your machine uses, give us a call or email us. We’re happy to help!

Robin Hunter August 13, 2019 - 10:27 am

I have two machimes that I am struggling with when it comes to figuring out the bobbin sizes. One is a Singer 191B and the second obe is an Omega 7100. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Belinda June 27, 2019 - 10:14 pm

I have a JcPenney 7057 Stretch sewing machine. It is from approx 1990. My manual states that it is a clear plastic bobbin… but it does not say what type. I would love to be able to purchase more bobbins. I have one… lol Thank you!

CustomerService July 2, 2019 - 11:13 am

Hello Belinda! I, unfortunately, do not have a parts list of your machine. Can you take a picture of your one bobbin next to a nickel (for reference) and I can look into this for you? We can be emailed at info@sewingpartsonline.com.

Karina March 1, 2019 - 10:11 am

Hi I have and singer 974 I use class 66 bobbins but I wanted to know if a class 15 or 15j would also fit my machine.

Kathy January 25, 2019 - 1:02 am

Hello what bobbin can I use in my Viking epic. Id like to buy prefilled bobbins but not sure of the size. Thank you so much. Kathy stockton

CustomerService January 31, 2019 - 11:20 am

Hello Kathy! I am sorry for the inconvenience, but the bobbins for your machine have been discontinued. I suggest using the part number (920434096) to check a used parts store such as eBay, or trying to contact the manufacturer which is Viking. Their number is 1-800-446-2333. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

BDCrafty April 28, 2019 - 6:53 am

Kathy,
Viking should be coming out with prewound bobbins for the Epic in the next few months!

Tru January 18, 2019 - 1:41 pm

Hello, if you are still answering bobbin questions, I jus purchased a used Janine 4618LE and I downloaded the manual from online but it doesn’t show bobbin type, number or style. Thank you so much for your time.

CustomerService January 18, 2019 - 4:50 pm

I am showing that your machine takes the class 15 type bobbins. They can be purchased via the link below:

I hope this helps!

Doe Keem January 5, 2019 - 3:10 pm

I have an old Kenmore convertible 158-1781 that I purchased 40 years ago from Sears. I am certain it came with metal bobbins, as I have used them for years . The last time I had it serviced they told me I should be using plastic bobbins since it has the horizontal bobbin case. Have I been doing this wrong for all these years ??? Plus do some of the metal class 15 bobbins have 7 holes and some have 9 holes. ?

CustomerService January 9, 2019 - 4:08 pm

Hi Doe! I am showing that your model takes the Class 15 bobbins. We do have a metal and plastic type that words with your machine. Both materials would work and it is a matter of preference what you would prefer. However, it is recommended that your bobbin is the same material as the bobbin case. Since your bobbin case is plastic, a plastic bobbin is suggested. A metal bobbin would still work. The bobbins on our site have 10 holes. I hope this helps!

Doe January 15, 2019 - 11:52 pm

Thanks so much! You have been most helpful!

George January 5, 2019 - 2:30 pm

have a model sixteen singer with the belt driven bobbin winder….the winder shaft is slotted but there is no bobbin retainer…so the shaft spins and the bobbin sits….is this the wrong size bobbin..(internal shaft hole diameter?) or is a iece missing from the winder shaft.??

CustomerService January 9, 2019 - 4:04 pm

Please email us at info@sewingpartsonline.com and we would be able to provide further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you!

Darlene November 28, 2018 - 9:04 pm

Hello,
I really wish the manufacturers could stamp on the bobbins what their number is.
I just purchased a Singer 4432, no where does it say what number the bobbin is. Here’s 3 bobbins, have fun sewing! Lol will you be able to help?
Thanks, Dar

CustomerService December 4, 2018 - 4:51 pm

I am showing that your machine takes the class 15 bobbins. You can view those bobbins for your machine via the link below:

Patrick May 31, 2019 - 2:53 pm

Hi, not to add to the to the confusion of Singers version of “Guess Your Best” but, I too ran into the 15/15J problem with my 4452 HD but fortunately I got it straightened out. I should say Ashley, one of the SPO Customer Service angels found the info from a repair parts manual for me and these machines call for the 15J (singer part number 416127601) Sewing Parts Online item number 085128. I recieved 4 of these with my machine but no mention of the class number.
It seems since Singer is unwilling to add any sort of identifying feature to tell them apart, the best thing I’ve found to do is stack one on top of another, as if you were going to wind 2 bobbins at once. Look at the joined surfaces and if they touch all the way across they are both 15. If however one or both only touch the other in the middle around the center hole then one or both are 15J. It should be easy to tell if one is flat and the other curved if you have a mixed pair between your fingers.
And 15J only come in plastic.
I really hope this helps someone else like it helped me and we can all thank Ashley!

sandra todd October 9, 2018 - 6:40 pm

Hi Sarah, I just purchased a Janome Skyline S7 – My book says to use J bobbins, but I can’t find those…is it the same as the 15J or will that not work?

CustomerService October 10, 2018 - 9:16 am

I am sorry for the confusion. I am showing that the Janome Skyline S7 takes the standard Class 15 bobbins which are also known as the “A Style”. You can view those bobbins via the link below:

I hope this helps!

Mary September 25, 2018 - 11:27 am

I am trying to find out what Bibbin to use in my Huskystar 224.

Carla Clarke August 30, 2018 - 3:04 pm

I was surprised to find not one mention of Kenmore machine bobbins. Class 15 is for Singer only and one of the most common bobbins on the Singer side. Kenmore machines for decades uses a different case and the two are not interchangeable. I own 3 Kenmore machines, a 1030 and a 1040 plus a newer small machines. I need a bobbin case or two for them.

CustomerService August 31, 2018 - 10:49 am

I apologize for the confusion. We would be happy to help you find the correct bobbin cases! Please email us at info@sewingpartsonline.com with the full model numbers of your Kenmore machines and we would be happy to help! We do look forward to hearing from you.

Margaret July 2, 2018 - 1:44 am

Greetings. I have a Singer treadle machine. From exploring on the internet I found that the bobbin comes in two lengths. What is the best way to measure the bobbin, and do you have recommendations for sites to by ? Thank you.

CustomerService July 10, 2018 - 3:54 pm

Hello Margaret! Unfortunately, we can only find the bobbins for the machine by either using a serial number or a model number. If you happen to have that information, we might be able to suggest a bobbin that we carry. Thank you!

Dena June 25, 2018 - 6:18 pm

Which bobbin should I use for
1- Judi 2010
2- Bernina 1260.

CustomerService June 27, 2018 - 12:37 pm

Hi Dena!

Is your Juki a TL-2010Q machine? If so, we have a generic option available via the link: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-universal-deep-groove-10pk-55623s.aspx?
As for the Bernina machine, we also have generic bobbins for that machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-bernina-10-pack-0115367000.aspx

I hope this helps!

Randy June 18, 2018 - 11:33 am

Sarah
My wife purchased a Nelco XL Model 5102a at a yard sale. It has the bobbin case but no bobbin. I have searched the internet and have seen many other Nelco models listed but not this particular model. Can you please tell me which bobbin this model takes?

CustomerService June 19, 2018 - 8:35 am

Hi Randy!
I do not have information coming up on your model; however, if you can email us a picture of your bobbin case, we can see if we can offer you any suggestions. Our email is info@sewingpartsonline.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Deborah June 11, 2018 - 2:49 pm

I have a new Bernina 590E sewing machine and would like to know what style bobbin I have. If I bought the m style bobbin would it fit in my machine. Thank You.

CustomerService June 15, 2018 - 10:17 am

Hello Deborah. I am sorry but we do not have any information on your specific model to see what type of bobbin it takes. I would suggest contacting Bernina directly. I am sorry I do not have more information.

Rolf May 8, 2018 - 2:41 pm

In your video you state that aluminum bobbins wind faster, this is not true. Because they are lighter they will up to speed maybe a milli-second faster but after that there are no advantages as far the RPM is concerned. This is so consequential that nobody in their right mind should worry about it 🙂

CustomerService May 8, 2018 - 2:56 pm

Thank you for your input. We appreciate it. Have a great day!

Barbara Corder January 29, 2018 - 5:21 pm

I have a Spiegel Model 60609 sewing machine. Do I have to order the bobbins from Spiegel or will one of these other bobbins work in my machine?

Sarah January 31, 2018 - 12:41 pm

Hi! Unfortunately, you would need to buy those bobbins directly from Spiegel.

Sarah Rogers January 18, 2018 - 7:56 pm

Hi Sarah, I notice that the bobbin in your video that you refer to as a class 15 has a “J” stamped on the shaft. I always thought this meant it was a class 15J?? Also, I recently upgraded from a Singer Quantum 9960 to a Janome HMC 9400. I thought all of my bobbins for the Singer were class 15 and that I needed to purchase class 15J for the Janome. Now I am trying to organize my bobbins and it looks like some of the Singer were indeed class 15J and 15. I recently purchased class 15J bobbins, but they look more like the bobbin you describe as a class 15…no curved side. Boy am I confused! They both seem to work equally well in the Janome. For such a simple plastic part, they are very confusing.

Sarah January 23, 2018 - 11:44 am

Hi, Sarah! That bobbin has a ‘J’ because it’s a Janome bobbin. Both your Singer Quantum 9960 and your Janome HMC 9400 use class 15 bobbins. I understand your frustration – it is very confusing!

Beccy February 26, 2018 - 5:22 am

I just purchased the Quantum 9960 (Jan 2018) and the specification sheet I printed out says class 15J bobbins, yet Singer’s website says class 15. Instructional videos I have watched on YouTube, also say 15J. Several blogs I have read also say 15J. Oh dear, so which one to use?

Sarah March 12, 2018 - 9:43 am

Hi! The information I have on your machine indicates these bobbins are the best to use: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx?

Christine M. Van Tassel February 19, 2019 - 5:11 pm

Great question! That’s what brought me here. I have machines that take all three of the common plastic bobbin types and keeping them straight is a nightmare. I have started to label them with a sharpie.

Marilyn January 17, 2018 - 2:56 pm

I have some older Singer machines model 9410 and 9110. I’m not sure what bobbins to use in the machines. Could you advise? I know Class 15 doesn’t work. Are they Class 15J or Class 66 or something else? Thank you!

Sarah January 23, 2018 - 11:36 am

Hi! Your Singer 9410 and 9110 use these Class 66 bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-66-singer-172222-10pk.aspx

Debbie January 14, 2018 - 7:31 pm

I have a Bernina Bernette Deco 340 Embroidery Machine. I am getting mixed recommendations on which bobbin to use, can you please help me? Also, just a comment, I have a 21 year old daughter that has gotten several machines over the years, so I have many bobbins in my drawer, and none of them are marked, so I don’t know which machine they go to!! Bobbins are very frustrating 🙂

Sarah January 17, 2018 - 10:45 am

Hi! Yes, it is very frustrating!
For your machine, these bobbins are best: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx
You can also use these prewound bobbins if you prefer: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-filled-white-l-clear-glide-poly-bobbin-tube-10pk-ft13174.aspx

tim January 5, 2018 - 9:37 pm

you claim I could copy and print the infographic. I have been unable to locate a link to do so or successfully convert the jpg image into 8.5″ x 11″ format.
can you send a printable copy?

Sarah January 17, 2018 - 10:34 am

Hi, Tim! I’m not sure why it’s not working – I will have our tech team look into it. Thank you!

Deonte Hemphill June 4, 2018 - 11:16 am

Sarah my name is Deonte and my grandma gotme a sears Lock stitch sewing machine and it sews messy on bottem threads and It uses a bobbin like the one here singer 8228 but its smaller and its plastic please help me out

CustomerService June 6, 2018 - 2:17 pm

You mentioned that you are having issues with your thread messing or bunching. There are a couple of easy steps you can do that frequently resolve the issue.

Please check the following:
Go in the order they are listed.

Is the tension too loose? A good starting point is 4- 4 1/2.

Did you thread the machine with the presser foot up? (This ensures the thread is between the tension discs.)

If you have tried all of these suggestions and your problem is still not resolved, please email us at info@sewingpartsonline.com. We will be happy to see if there is anything else we can do to further assist you. I hope this helps!

Melissa Righetti July 4, 2018 - 6:56 pm

Another reason the machine will sew in this manner is using the wrong needle for the thickness of the fabric. Heavy cottons or denim must be sewn with a heavy gauge needle (14).

Laurie Miles January 5, 2018 - 2:49 pm

You said a Class 15J should not be used in a Class 15 machine, but can a Class 15 work in a Class 15J machine without any issues?
Thanks!

Sarah January 17, 2018 - 10:34 am

Hi, Laurie! Nope, you will experience issues both ways.

Tammy Long December 29, 2017 - 7:46 am

My husband picked up a Janome memory craft 7000 at an estate/yard sale…I was not happy as I am or was a die hard Singer girl. Now that I found out its also an embroidery machine and was listed for $2500 on CraigsList!!! I promised him I would NEVER complain about how heavy it is. However, before I go messing things up, I must clarify I cant figure out or find simple info on which to use Plastic or Metal bobbins. I do know Class 15 is the style or type.

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 2:19 pm

That’s hilarious! He did well! For your Janome 7000, use these Class 15 plastic bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-janome-kenmore-elna-102261103.aspx

J Rehling December 28, 2017 - 6:32 pm

Thank you for the information. Are bobbins marked in any way so one can tell what size they are. I was given some older metal bobbins and don’t know if they will work on my machine.

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 2:18 pm

Unfortunately, they are not marked. If not immediately obvious by looking at the bobbin, you have the measure it. If you know what machine the bobbins used to fit, we can look up the bobbin style by looks at the old machine’s part list.

Mike Brown December 24, 2017 - 1:08 pm

Can you tell me which bobbin I need fora singer 20-13 machine? I’m thinking it’s an L or A bobbin, we need some prewound bobbins. Thanks Mike Brown

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 1:37 pm

Hi! I would need to see a picture of your machine. Can you please send a picture to info@sewingpartsonline.com?

Ree Stuart December 24, 2017 - 12:42 am

I just got a singer sewing machine for christmas. It takes plastic bobins. All I have is lots of metal ones from my old machine. Don’t really know what to do.

Sarah December 29, 2017 - 1:04 pm

Hi! This is a common issue. Generally, we recommend using the same type of bobbin that came with your machine. May I have the make and model number of your old machine and the model number of your new Singer?

Wanda December 18, 2017 - 9:46 am

I have a Husqvarna Viking Epic and would like to purchase prewound monopoly bobbins. They sell class 15a prefilled bobbins. Will this work in the Epic machine? If not, is there a size of prefilled bobbins that will work?

Sarah December 19, 2017 - 1:31 pm

Hi, Wanda! Unfortunately, those bobbins are only available from Husqvarna Viking directly.

Nicole Bishop December 5, 2017 - 7:14 pm

So can you use a regular class 15 in a seeing machine that calls for SA156?

Sarah December 6, 2017 - 4:21 pm

Hi, Nicole! The SA156 is a class 15 bobbin, so it can be used.

elena December 3, 2017 - 2:37 am

Hello, Can I use SA156 bobbins that I purchased for my old Brother ES2000 machine for my new Singer 4423 that according to the manual uses Class 15 bobbins?
Thank you in adcance, Elena.

Sarah December 4, 2017 - 10:20 am

Hi! Yup, they should work in both.

Carol E, Thomas October 3, 2017 - 9:14 am

I have a Baby Lock Rachel, could you tell me if this takes a special bobbin, they say the part code # is X52800-120. Please tell me what size bobbin in need to buy. Thank you for your help.

Sarah October 4, 2017 - 10:34 am

Hi, Carol! Your Baby Lock Rachel uses these bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-babylock-brother-x52800150.aspx

Marcy Taitz September 16, 2017 - 6:49 pm

Does the singer quantum stylist 9960 use class 15 or 15j bobbins? There is ongoing disagreement on this so I’d like your opinion. Thanks!

Sarah September 18, 2017 - 12:07 pm

Hi! That machine uses the class 15 bobbins here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx

Vicky Peacock September 15, 2017 - 7:40 pm

Please discontinue sending emails

Sarah September 18, 2017 - 12:04 pm

Hi, Vicky! We’re sad to see you unsubscribe. You can remove yourself from our newsletter by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of our emails.

Linda September 11, 2017 - 12:10 pm

Which bobbin for Kenmore 17881 machine? the owner’s manual does not specify type. Thanks!

Ellen September 11, 2017 - 1:27 pm

Hi, Linda! Your Kenmore uses a standard class 15 bobbin. Here is a link to the bobbins for your machine: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-metal-10-pack.aspx

Linda September 11, 2017 - 9:17 pm

Thank you!

roze September 10, 2017 - 12:46 pm

hi i have kenmore 385.19110 what bobbin should i use? thank you!

Ellen September 11, 2017 - 1:19 pm

Hi, Roze. Here is a link to the class 15 bobbins for your Kenmore: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-janome-kenmore-elna-102261103.aspx

George June 4, 2017 - 6:25 pm

Thanks. Thought I had a Singer 15. Nothing fit. Your video put me on the right track to find out that it’s a model 115. When you get the right parts everything just works better. Life is funny that way. Restoring Great Grannies machine. Thanks a million!!

Sarah June 5, 2017 - 9:30 am

Our pleasure! I’m sure Great Granny will be so happy to have her machine restored!

Janet Santiago April 10, 2017 - 9:51 am

I restore and use lots of vintage machines. Thanks for the info. Don’t forget the little Featherweight and Singer 301 bobbins which are unique to those machines.

mobarak April 7, 2017 - 6:38 pm

plz i have Singer finesse 827 …what bobbin have i to use?

Sarah April 10, 2017 - 11:33 am

Hi! Your machine uses class 15 metal bobbins:https://goo.gl/gTdSWY

David McBride March 17, 2017 - 1:23 am

Am new to sewing machines, although my wife has been sewing for years and is very good. I just took a sewing machine repair class but there is a lot of stuff thst i have to learn. Enjoyed this latest topic about bobbins. Am going to print it out for future reference. Keep doing this. Thank you.

Geri Cook March 16, 2017 - 11:03 am

Which bobbin do I need for a JUKI Exceed 400? Do I use the JUKI 270010 or the 15j or the class 15. My book doesn’t seem to reference the bobbin size. Thank you in advance. Geri Cook

Sarah March 16, 2017 - 2:07 pm

Hi, Geri! Your machines uses class 15 bobbins. I recommend these: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx

Sharon March 6, 2017 - 10:21 am

Informative video.

Jean Powers March 5, 2017 - 1:32 pm

I enjoyed watching your video. You mention a video for troubleshooting bobbins. I have a Singer, Model No. 6212C, no manual. Top loadong bobbin. The thread pulls easily until I close the cover, after drawing up the thread. Then it is very tight…to breaking point. I am not a novice to sewing and have had this machine for years. I hope you can help. Thank you.

Sarah March 6, 2017 - 1:15 pm

Hmm that is strange. Have you removed the bobbin case to see if anything is stuck under there?

Kath Jacquier February 24, 2017 - 11:46 pm

Thank you for that informative talk on bobbins,I did learn from it. What about one on different threads weights, cross wound threads and how they unwind from machine to piece being stitched. Some are very testy.

Sarah March 1, 2017 - 11:45 am

Hi, Kath! We do have a blog post on different kinds of thread here: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/blog/ultimate-thread-reference-guide/
But it hasn’t been made into a video yet.
If thread is unwinding from the spool and getting tangled, try a thread net. They make a HUGE difference.

Vicky Williams March 5, 2017 - 7:29 am

Hi ,
I have a LS14 brother sewing machine, birthday present and need to know what bobbin it is size saying SA156–SFB:XA5539-151 , please help thankyou

Sarah March 6, 2017 - 1:10 pm Reply
Vicky March 5, 2017 - 7:34 am

I have more questions!
Do I have to buy different needles for different garments?
What’s the best thread to buy
Sewing machine LS14 brother
Many thanks

Sarah March 6, 2017 - 1:12 pm

Hi, Vicky! You definitely want to switch out your needle depending on the fabric your sewing. We have a chart here detailing how to choose the correct needle: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/blog/finding-perfect-sewing-machine-needle-infographic/
Also, your thread choice will also depend on your project. I really like Gutermann All Purpose Polyester thread for most of my sewing: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/gutermann-thread.aspx

Rhonda February 23, 2017 - 2:45 pm

Interesting info. I have a 1260 Bernina and the bobbin winder is having a problem. Possibly could be the bobbin it self with a problem or the bobbin winder. Some thread companies are fine when bobbin winding but others just make a mess. Any info would be appreciated.

Sarah February 24, 2017 - 8:51 am

Hi, Rhonda! Have you had the bobbin tire replaced recently?

Caroline February 23, 2017 - 11:55 am

Thanks for the info about bobbins. I have a Bernina 550 sewing machine what can I do about nests of thread when I start to sew drives m crazy! Have any ideas. Thanks

Sarah February 24, 2017 - 8:50 am

Hi, Caroline! I just helped a friend with this same problem last night. If you tension is appropriate and your needle is threaded properly, the likely source is dust bunnies. Have you had the chance to remove your bobbin and the bobbin case to inspect for lint?

Joan February 23, 2017 - 11:36 am

Thank you for the information….please advise as to what bobbin to purchase for the Sparrow 20 by Ever Sewn

Sarah February 24, 2017 - 8:48 am

Hi, Joan! Your machine uses class 15 bobbins. We sell them here: https://goo.gl/Zj9LJV

Joan Nigrelli February 23, 2017 - 11:34 am

Great information…thank you….could you advise me on the correct bobbin for my Sparrow 20 made by Ever Sewn…thank you

Sarah March 1, 2017 - 11:43 am

Hi Joan! Your machine uses these Class 15 bobbins: https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bobbins-class-15-plastic-10-pack.aspx

Michele S February 23, 2017 - 1:10 am

Another notable point (I didn’t realize until recently when I acquired a Babylock Anna sewing machine) is that plastic and metal size 15 bobbins aren’t necessarily interchangeable. For example my old Singer can use either but my Babylock can only use the plastic. This is because of the material difference in how the bobbin housing is constructed. A metal bobbin in the babylock will chew it up whereas a plastic one is suited for it. The Singer housing is metal and therefore, either will not damage the housing.

Sarah February 23, 2017 - 10:29 am

Yes! You make an EXCELLENT point! For the best performance possible, use plastic bobbins if you machine originally came with a plastic bobbin. I’ll make sure to add that to our post!

Ruth @ Purely Splendid February 22, 2017 - 8:31 pm

Lots of great information! I’ve been sewing a l-o-n-g time and only really knew about the bobbins that I need to use. Thanks for enlightening me!
Not sure where I learned it, but the little window you refer to, I use it like you would thread a needle, starting on the inside and threading to the outside of the bobbin. I hold the thread end until the bobbin starts to wind. Doing so results in a perfectly wound bobbin- no uneven hand winding or worrying about which way to wind it. I trim that starter thread even with the top of the bobbin and I’m ready to go! I love it!

Sarah February 23, 2017 - 9:59 am

Hi, Ruth! I also use the little window for the same thing! I know some people just wrap it around and start winding, but I have better luck using the little hole!

Sally February 22, 2017 - 7:18 pm

Never knew so much about bobbins. This information will go in my notebook for yearly review. (I forget) Now to figure out what bobbin my 1950 Necchi takes.

Sarah February 23, 2017 - 9:55 am

Hi, Sally! What is the model of your Necchi machine?

Joyce February 22, 2017 - 6:53 pm

Very informative. You talk so fast, it is hard to keep up with you, so I have to play the video several times. I usually just read the article for that reason.

Sarah February 23, 2017 - 9:54 am

Hi, Joyce! I’m so sorry for speaking too quickly. It’s a bad habit of mine – I will work on it in the future. I’m glad the article has been helpful!

Michaelne Keegan February 22, 2017 - 6:31 pm

Found your Bobbin video very informative. Harriette is a great spokesperson. very clear to understand her explanation of product

Sue Cone February 22, 2017 - 8:13 am

Thanks for all the info! I had no idea there was so much to know about the bobbin except it is really bad whene there is a problem.

Harriette Estrada February 21, 2017 - 6:18 pm

Maybe you can do research on pre-wound bobbins?

Sarah February 22, 2017 - 1:39 pm

Hi, Harriette! We LOVE prewound bobbins – they’re a huge convenience. We sell polyester and cotton prewounds in a variety of colors and bobbin sizes. We also sell prewound cores. Can I answer any specific questions about prewounds you may have?