Home Sewing Minis Sewing Minis (Ep 5): Tips for Sewing Vinyl Fabric

Sewing Minis (Ep 5): Tips for Sewing Vinyl Fabric

If you’re afraid to sew vinyl-based fabric, you’re not alone. These fabrics can be intimidating and difficult for any sewist, new or seasoned. With that in mind, we’ve created this quick video to show you some vinyl sewing tips and tricks. Follow these hacks and sewing vinyl will be as easy as sewing medium weight cotton.

Knowing how to sew these plastic fabrics will allow you to complete so many great projects. You’ll be able to sew reusable grocery totes and baby bibs. You can even tackle outdoor furniture cushions and hiking gear. You’ll be able to make easy-to-clean organizers and even fashionable faux leather purses. The possibilities are endless!

For your convenience, we sell the tools you need.

Size 100/16 Universal Needles
*You can also use size 90/14 Leather Needles or Denim Needles. I’ve tested both and find they work well.*
Walking Foot or Roller Foot or Non-Stick Foot
Wonder Clips (10 pack, 50 pack, 100 pack)

As always, if you have any questions or comments, be sure to leave them in the comment section. If you’re having trouble finding the right foot for your machine, please call us at (888) 824-1192 or use our live chat. You can also e-mail us at info@sewingpartsonline.com. Happy sewing and good luck!

Heather Flynt July 28, 2018 at 1:39 am

Hello. Your videos and information are so helpful. I am learning a little easier thanks to you. I need some solid advice and I think you are the one to ask. We arw redoing my boyfriend’s motorcycle seat…so we have taken the old one apart and used the pieces to cut the new ones out of this crocodile looking vinyl. I am using a Brother Cs-6000i machine and need desperately to know what type of thread and which stitch to use for this project. I am thinking from online research thar Bonded Polyester should be used, but are there different sizes. I am still learning..please laugh with me not ar me! LOL. I am a better visual and hands on learner so when reading some of this info I end up more confused than when I started. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance, Heather

CustomerService August 7, 2018 at 8:18 am

Hi Heather! Thank you for the nice comments. I would like to be of assistance with your project; however, I have not yet redone a motorcycle seat! I would recommend looking on YouTube for a video specific to your project. Thank you for watching.

Gillie August 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I just found your web site and hope you can solve my problem. I make vinyl supports that require velcro but my machine shreds the thread when I sew the rough part of the velcro even if I sew as close to the edge. It sews the soft part of the velcro onto the vinyl just fine but not the rough part. Any suggestions?

Sarah August 15, 2017 at 9:58 am

Hmm…may I ask what needle type and size are you using? And what thread are you using?

bpjt May 20, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Would the snap-on flat-felled presser foot work on Sunbrella fabric or any of the vinyl/plasticy fabrics you mentioned?

Sarah May 22, 2017 at 9:15 am

Hi! It won’t work well on any vinyl/plastic fabric. I’ve done a flat-felled on that kind of fabric before and had the best results using my walking foot.

Drenda Terry August 26, 2016 at 10:46 am

Question my machine will sew regular material but when I practice with the faux leather it will not sew it please help?

Ellen August 26, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Hello Drenda

Have you tried using a walking, roller or non-stick foot when sewing the faux leather? Also lengthening your stitches may help.

Chantal Cross April 4, 2016 at 3:31 am

Hi. My friend would like to source waterproof / water resistant fabric that is thin, and soft (not crunchy) do you have any ideas of where she could buy this?

Sarah G. April 6, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Hi! Depending on what she’s making, maybe PUL fabric or ribstop

Heidi Bader March 27, 2016 at 4:01 pm

I need to sew through fabric that is stretchy but is foam backed. What type of needle should I use. And if I should use a special foot or thread.

Sarah April 6, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Hi Heidi! That is a tricky one. I would try a ballpoint and a universal to see which creates the better stitch. Also, a walking foot will probably work best. All purpose thread should be fine. You’ll likely need to increase your stitch length.

Juanita Vega DeJoseph February 8, 2016 at 6:36 am

Logged in to purchase a light bulb for my Singer 603 and saw the contest. GREAT way to reintroduce these really well done videos! Thanks Sarah!

Glorianne Martinez November 28, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Love Love these sewing sessions. I have granddaughters who would like to learn to sew – live away from me- so I have sent this site.

Sarah December 4, 2015 at 7:16 am

Thank you for recommending our site to your granddaughters! We really appreciate the love!

Lyz Covert June 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Thank you. I have vinyl to use and this certainly helped.!!!

Denise Reed June 17, 2015 at 8:22 am

Great and right on time information, just made a host of showercaps as gifts for family and freinds. With your tips it was super easy. Thanks!!!!

Sarah June 17, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Our pleasure! And that is SO cool that you made shower caps! I would have never thought to make those – if you get a chance, would you mind posting a pic on our facebook page? I just have to see these shower caps!

Claudia August 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm

I’ve never seen a discussion on the end caps. I will pay more attention to this. I also wonder if the problem I’m having with the gathering foot would go away if I used the thread stand? Can’t hurt to try.

Every time I start a project I go back to sewingparts video’s to get tips before I get stuck.

Thanks for the best info.

Sarah November 27, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Hi Claudia! First, thank you so much for using our site; we’re glad to help! What problem are you having with your gathering foot?